Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Suggestions/Advice.

Started by sykomonkey, September 19, 2006, 12:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sykomonkey

My downstairs tank has a small issue with brown algae.  I've been doing regular water changes about once every 2 weeks on that tank.  Idealy I'd like to do this more often but i don't always have time.

I turn the lights on the aquarium for approximately 10-11 hours a day.  There are some small plants in there, but I'm not worried about them. they can be transplanted.

The alge seems to have tiny little white ?bugs? skittering about in it.  Should I be at all worried or is this some form of "daphnia" I've read about?
There also seems to be tiny Puffs of white attached to the side the tank.  Kinda reminds me of jellyfish in shape.

The filter medium is changed monthly.

Only fish in there at the moment is a pair of angels.

FreshWaterTank

What size is your tank? It is advisable to do weekly changes. How much water are you changing every 2 weeks? The filter medium shouldn't be changed every month.

sykomonkey

25 gallon tall ( I believe)

I change between 20-35 percent.

The filter has replaceable cartridges.  I rince them every comple of weeks (to keep the smell down)

FreshWaterTank

Rinsing your replaceable cartridges in tank water is fine. This is of the first algae to appear in a newly setup tank, where conditions have yet to stabilise. It will often appear around the 2nd to 12th week period,and may disappear as quickly as it arrived when the conditions stabilise after a couple of months. It is essential to minimise nutrient levels to ensure the algae disappears. Avoid over feeding and carry out weekly water changes; gravel & filter cleaning. Limit light will not deter brown algae, as it can grow at low lighting levels. If you tank is establised check nitrate and phosphate levels. Increased water changes and more thorough substrate cleaning may be necessary.