Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

PVC tubing - black vs white

Started by jgolden, September 26, 2006, 04:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgolden

Okay, I know - in general - black VPC tubing is used for grey water and waste water, while white PVC tubing is generally used for 'source' water.

Q1: Which, if either, is 'safer' for the fishies? Why? I've seen articles stating never to use black PVC in your aquarium. Very next article I read almost seems to flaunt that black PVC is used all the time with no effects.

Q2: If I'm planning on building a DIY overflow with PVC (and the answer to Q1 is definitive), will using black vs white matter?

FishBuddy

I've asked similar questions in regards to the black ABS pipes a year earlier...  I've also done a bit of readings on them... 

I have to say, from personal experience, I have no problem with it.  I have 2 huge ABS pipe in my 72 gal for about a year now and everything is fine...  The fish are growing up really good and no casualties in the tank.  They are also breeding normally as well. 

Now, I have 2 inch black ABS pipes in my breeding tank and serve as hideouts for the holding females...

BTW, the white pipes are PVC and the black pipes are ABS (different materials).

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

jgolden

You're right. So the majority of (white) PVC vs (black) ABS arguments are bunk?I'll make my overflow chamber out of black ABS then. (It's cheaper).

What cement (if any) would people recommend then? Or should I just use (aquarium) silicon to cement the joints?

dannypd

Quote from: jgolden on September 26, 2006, 05:15:10 PM
You're right. So the majority of (white) PVC vs (black) ABS arguments are bunk?I'll make my overflow chamber out of black ABS then. (It's cheaper).

What cement (if any) would people recommend then? Or should I just use (aquarium) silicon to cement the joints?

I dont know if it effects are noted around here, but in europe, some white pvc pipes are coated with an algaecide.

james

Hi

Ive used both with no problem for years. I use varoius shapes for  my African hide out. I like black because you can blend the into your rocks more easily. White show up too much and get messy when you get algae growth. Ps make sure you allow an entrance and a exit on each piece (or else a fish will be cornered in) I use mostly elbows

James :)
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

gvv

Depeding on the application.
ABS is not pressure rated and more loud - peple use it mainly for drain line, but it is also more loud than PVC.
PVC is pressure rated and it is used for return line.

If you are planning to use them for fish to hide inside your tank - than everything up to you - what color you prefer?

Regards

zapisto

Quote from: gvv on September 26, 2006, 07:29:34 PM
Depeding on the application.
ABS is not pressure rated and more loud - peple use it mainly for drain line, but it is also more loud than PVC.
PVC is pressure rated and it is used for return line.

If you are planning to use them for fish to hide inside your tank - than everything up to you - what color you prefer?

Regards

True
Dont use ABS for Air central system , you have been warn :)