Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ebo-jager heaters

Started by busdriver, October 15, 2006, 01:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busdriver

I have two ebo jager heaters in my 150. One is a 250 and one is a 200. I was trying to get the temperature up from 80 to 85 or 6.
I adjusted the dial to 83 and the temperature went to 87.4.
They aren't very accurate.
Are there any good heaters that are real accurate?
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

BigDaddy

Ebo Jager's are a very accurate heater.  That doesn't discount the possibility that you got a bad heater in the mix.

A few questions

1)  How much circulation is there around the heaters.  Poor circulation can affect the heater's performance
2)  How are the heater's oriented?  Are they fully submersed or partially submersed. Are they vertical, horizontal, or on a diagonal?
3)  Have you swapped out your thermometer to rule out the possibility that it is what is inaccurate?

Ebo Jager heaters can be recalibrated though, so if it isn't an external problem, you can reset the thermostat on the unit to reflect the proper temperature.

mila

I have bunch of new Jagger heaters, all need recalibration.
Some is 10deg. off.
Good heaters, very steady.

darkdep

he fact that Jager's can be recalibrated is a very good feature.  I have NEVER had a heater that I put in the tank, set to say, 78 and end up with 78.  For most heaters the markings on the dial are just useless. 

To Calibrate a jager, pull up on the blue button (it's stiff; you might need pliers or a screwdriver), set the dial to the CURRENT water temp, and push back down.  Now you'll get very accurate temp control.

Mettle

Just need a very accurate thermometer to ensure you set the heater ot the right temp.

darkdep

Very true.  I use a digital one for calibration then usually just use the little $2 glass suction cup dudes in my tanks.

adam_ottawa

I don't bother calibrating my heater.  I adjust it based on the reading from my tank thermometer.  If I know I need to bump it up by 2 degrees then I turn the dial on the heater by 2 degrees and wait until the overall temperature has changed.  If it requires further adjustment, I will adjust accordingly.

KarEn

Quote from: adam_ottawa on October 16, 2006, 09:47:38 AM
I don't bother calibrating my heater.  I adjust it based on the reading from my tank thermometer.  If I know I need to bump it up by 2 degrees then I turn the dial on the heater by 2 degrees and wait until the overall temperature has changed.  If it requires further adjustment, I will adjust accordingly.

Yep, I used to do the same when I had heaters in my tank. Now I don't have them at all. My last Jager was destroyed by Frontosa about 3.5 years ago and I never had a heater since. All fish and plants are doing well. ;)
Regards,
Kar En
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 120 Gal Miracles Aquarium (starphire glass) Tanganyikan Cichlids |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cichlid Empire is built on intelligence, adaptability and a surprising degree of parental care for their young.