Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

co2 reactor question

Started by artw, October 17, 2006, 09:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artw

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this reactor, before I run out tonight and buy all of the parts:
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#6

it's basically a powerhead that blows water down into a gravel vacuum tube, and as the water descends into the tube it interferes with the co2 bubbles going up vertically in the tube...  the theory makes sense, but I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions or experiences to help make my shopping trip easier, :D

jetstream

Hi Artw,

I am using similar DIY method, but I let the powerhead blow the CO2  out using the so call mist method. It works!  ;)

Jetstream.

BigDaddy

Tom Barr swears by misting now... but if you still wanna go gravel vac... make the one on his site that burps out the built up air...

artw

that's the one with the viewtainer? I think I have one of those at home somewhere actually. I was trying to read some stuff on his website but most of it requires a subscription. :/  I am assuming this co2 misting technique is just a powerhead blowing off co2 from an airstone or something towards the plants?  I don't really want all kinds of bubbles in the tank but I suppose there is going to be oxygen bubbles anyway (there is now)
I am currently using the canister-injection method but 4 DIY bottles is just too much for my fluval 304, it airlocks once or twice an hour.   I'll take a closer look at the viewtainer thing, I'd rather have that in the tank than some big 10" gravel vac.