Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

BN eggs Hatching What to do???

Started by bitterman, October 20, 2006, 10:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

My Bn pair has just laid another bunch of eggs, The previous 4 times the Frontosa and Calvus in my tank have eaten the eggs.

The Eggs are hatching how long before I should pull them fromthe father?

Thanks,
    Bruce

babblefish1960

You could always experiment and leave half the eggs and remove the rest to raise yourself, good luck with your decisions.

jetstream

Don't try to seperate the eggs to 2 batches, it won't works. Either leave them all with the male or try to take the eggs out and use some air stone (or an egg tumbler). Or you can try to see you can move the male with all the eggs to a seperate tank. Most likely the survival rate will be a bit lower if you moved them out or use an egg tumbler to hatch them. But better than let your Frontosa eating them all as a snacks! Good luck! :)

zapisto

Quote from: jetstream on October 20, 2006, 11:34:48 AM
Don't try to seperate the eggs to 2 batches, it won't works. Either leave them all with the male or try to take the eggs out and use some air stone (or an egg tumbler). Or you can try to see you can move the male with all the eggs to a seperate tank. Most likely the survival rate will be a bit lower if you moved them out or use an egg tumbler to hatch them. But better than let your Frontosa eating them all as a snacks! Good luck! :)

100% agree
dont try to separate eggs , this is not like corys.
i will suggest try  to move dad and eggs to an other tank (it is risky but) , try to always leave egg in water.

depend where the eggs are he can be very easy.

Woody

Zap is right, you will be unable to separate the eggs without damaging them, if you have another aquarium set up, transfer the father with the eggs, hopefully it is in a cave or pot that can be easily moved.
I use Tupperware container big enough to hold the cave, do the transfer in the water, submerse the container, place cave in, that way the eggs won't get exposed to the air.
Dad will usually tighten his grip on the eggs and jamb himself in the cave so you should have no problem unless he placed them in an area that is not accessible.

Best of luck

bitterman

Thanks for all the replies.

Unfortunaly the Bn's didn't co-operate and use any of the PVC caves I built for them. The eggs are in the corner of the tank, near the glass overflow box, behind one of the caves. They were layed in the corver on to of the substate. It is a huge bunch of eggs almost a teaspoon full I would guess. Not accessable at all unfortunatly.

I'm just going to wait and see and hope for the best again.

Bruce

zapisto

yeah
fish usually dont do what we expect they do :)
that's why they are so funny to keep

bitterman

Here is the best pic I have. Not an easy place to take a picture of.

Bn Male and Eggs.

[attachment deleted by admin]

zapisto

flyingpancake

I have seen tank separators used before.  They are like a partition and would separate the fish you want, just do not know if they are still available.  If not then maybe you could do something like that on your own?

bitterman

The Eggs are hatching how long before I should pull them fromthe father?

Also whats the best way to get the fry away from the father? Syphon them away into a bucket?

Thanks,
    Bruce