Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquatic photography workshop - OVAS project idea

Started by charlie, October 24, 2006, 08:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

I would like to thank Michel for hosting this at his place.  I had a great time and learned some stuff that I hope to put into practice very soon. 

babblefish1960

I too definitely enjoyed myself, what Rockgarden and pegasus had to say, and of course the cookies. I admit that even though my instruction book was en Francaise, I too actually learned something from these blokes. They did not tell me how to get the fish to hold still though. Next time there will have to be a demonstration on how to get the fish to pose. ;)

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on April 01, 2007, 03:35:25 PM
I too definitely enjoyed myself, what Rockgarden and pegasus had to say, and of course the cookies. I admit that even though my instruction book was en Francaise, I too actually learned something from these blokes. They did not tell me how to get the fish to hold still though. Next time there will have to be a demonstration on how to get the fish to pose. ;)

We actually talked about that after you left  ;)

RedFish

Yes that was a good gathering.   I learned some and could happily have stayed and listened to photog info and photog stories and fish stories for a good while longer.  Thank you Pegausus for hosting and teaching.

And RockGarden keep your doors and windows locked or some of your fine photog equipment may walk off in the night....

charlie

I would also like to thank Pegasus & Rockgarden for the time & expertise shared today, Pegasus thanks for hosting , certainly learned a lot, to the folks who could not make it , you missed a good time.
Regards

PaleoFishGirl

Yes, thanks Michel & Ron, it was great! Sorry I couldn't stay for the whole thing, but I finally learned what that silly +/- button is for! 

Let's do it again once I get a DSLR :)

rockgarden

Some of today's students were really attentive and kept a close eye on the instructor :).

[attachment deleted by admin]

rockgarden

Others ... well they were thinking or asking questions :).

rockgarden

Or checking their cameras for available features.

rockgarden

And what were the photographic subjects doing while all this instruction was going on.  They were posing beautifully, of course.

charlie

Quote from: rockgarden on April 01, 2007, 06:28:43 PM
Some of today's students were really attentive and kept a close eye on the instructor :).

;D ;D ;D

rockgarden

But what these wonderful fish do as soon as it was their turn to pose for the students ....

rockgarden

Why of course they either came right up to the glass to take a better look or decided to leave the scene.

rockgarden

But now, armed with all that new knowledge of glasses half full, gray cards, ISO settings, shutter speeds, lag times, pixels, motion blur, and such other bits of photographic trivia, everyone who attended should be able to analyse this shot and ...... thank Michel for cleaning his glass :).

Thanks Michel.

Ron 

babblefish1960

Well there big fella, I would suggest that you are taking pictures of the ethereal nature of the spirit of the fish, as it is clearly a ghost of its former self, you have obviously tapped into another plane of existence where this little fishy is concerned. Everyone should be very pleased to learn that their loved little fishy friends have a life afterwards and that you are able to make a record of that life. That is such exciting news, does it work with humans? I swear I have this dead aunt that would like to have a chat! ;)

Actually, it would appear that even though the glass is clean, in order to take the picture without a flash, you had the f-stop fairly open and the speed of the shutter down quite slow, and of course, the little fish just wouldn't wait for you, because he wanted a fishy kiss from you through the glass. Being so tall, you felt it beneath you to acquiesce to the fishes desires and taunted him with your own fish eye interminably leaving him shuddering with anticipation that was never sated. Rockgarden you are positively cruel to the feelings of your little slimy admirers.

There, how was that? :D

oenology

Thanks for the talk - sorry I was in the early-leaving group but duty called aka cleaning up the crawlspace for the construction people.

bitterman

Darn I wish I could have make it, but getting my new Mpimbwe group became the highest priority :D  I drove to bowmanville on Saturday and back, but I have to keep a close eye on the fish yesterday. I happy all is well, not I need some training so I can take some nice pics of them LOL.

Anyone take really good note I could look over? ;)

It would be very usefull to have an article on the site to include the teachings that occured !!!!!

Thanks,
    Bruce

fishycanuck

Yes, some students were very studious, others, well....

I am setting up my better fish photos in the gallery. Certainly I can see where less ambient light or cleaner glass would improve the shot, but I welcome advice on how to improve my fishy photography.

CuckooJay

Wow, what a good idea!! So many people seem confused about this practice... I admit my photography could be better too. Are you planning a follow up session?

babblefish1960

From the look on the faces of those two guys in post 117, I would suggest that adding a follow up session would be a great idea, which would be good, as neither of them seem very focused. :)