Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Would this work?

Started by olson78, October 26, 2006, 03:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olson78

I have a 90 gallon with a current stocking of:

2 Angels
3 Festivums
1 Snakeskin Gourami
3 Thicklip Gouramis
3 Clown Loaches
5 or 6 cories

I was thinking of adding a pair of firemouth cichlids.  Would there be enough room for them in this tank, or would the territories be too small?

Toss

as long as the firemouths don't breed. If they do, they will take over at least half the tank during laying the eggs and 3/4 plus possible killing a few gouramies when they raise their fry. my two cents
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

olson78

Do firemouths do well on their own?  Would 2 males or 2 females work without fighting?

BigDaddy

I've seen firemouths in species only tanks... same layout as any other cichlid tank, just ensure there are territory markers around and places for fish to duck and cover when needed.

I wouldn't put the firemouths in the 90 though... agree with Toss.  When they breed, they will make your community tank a bit of a terror

olson78

Thanks for the advice!  I won't be going for a pair.  I've heard that they are gentle fish when not breeding.  Would adding a single firemouth be a good plan, or do they require others of their species?