Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

LF: Potassium Chloride

Started by darkdep, October 31, 2006, 02:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

Does anyone know where I could obtain Potassium Chloride (KCl)?

Possibly used in water softeners?

Shrimpy

BigDaddy

Shrimpy

We use it at work for pH meter probes!  ;D That is the solution inside them!

darkdep

I'm trying to produce a "better" cichlid salt recipe; Potassium Chloride is cited by some to be a valued ingredient for this.

Not 100% sure how much, but a couple KG would probably be good to start.

BigDaddy

I guess I would just naturally stay away from chlorides, instead going with a potassium sulphide compound...

fishycanuck

KCl solutions are available by prescription, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

Shrimpy

All the KCL I have access to is in liquid form. There is a tablet form but it is $$$!

Adam

Any reason you're putting in cichlid salt buffers?  Some say it helps, some say it doesn't do a hoot.  I'm with the latter crowd.  I've never used any salt in my aquariums, and I have more fry than I know what to do with.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

darkdep

For fun.  The traditional additives are Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulphate), Salt (Sodium Chloride), and Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate). 

The Rift lakes have a certain amount of calcium in them (so looking to add some of that), and Potassium. KCl used to be sold in small amounts as "No-Salt".

Shrimpy:  What do you have access to in liquid?  Is it pure?

BD:  All the salt we put in is a Chloride :)

Shrimpy

I can get the purest of almost any chemical!
Some you would need a special license for because there are some crazies out there eh?!
The KCL I can get is pure and I believe it is around $60 per liter. I'll have to check again when I'm back in the office.

Adam

Ok.

As I posted that, I read your cuckoo thread and how you want to 'malawi-condition' your aquarium.  Maybe the change will bring a breeding cycle to your fish.  Good luck with that.  It would be nice to see more of the multis and petricola in the area.  They've all but disappeared/are $$$$$ at big al's.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

BigDaddy

Quote from: DarkDep on October 31, 2006, 09:21:32 PM
BD:  All the salt we put in is a Chloride :)
Potassium Sulphate (K2SO4) isn't a chloride.  Or Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) (aka SaltPeter).... Or Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4)...  should I go on   ;)

If you look at Seachem's "salts", you'll see none of them use any chlorine compounds either.

Care for a little ketchup for that foot big guy?  LOL

darkdep

Want some ketchup with YOUR foot big guy?

All the "Salt" (aka Sodium CHLORIDE) is a Chloride.  That's what I meant.  A lot of regular Salt goes into Cichlid salt mixes.  I meant Salt as in the common name, not salt as in the chemical form.

:)

I'm well aware of the other potassium compounds; but the real Rift Lake chemistry actually has quite a bit of Chloride in it.

zapisto

if you can read french i have a marvelous articles and i think you will found it so interesting.
but i have to warn you , i you dont like chimie stay away from it.
they article is way too much complete for most of people.

i warn you :)

Sue

Sigma/aldrich would have KCL. You'd want the cheapest grade they make.
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com

darkdep

Zap:  I'd love to try to read the article, where can I get access to it?  I can't find it on your site :)

And Sue, thank you for the lead.  Appreciate it!

zapisto

Here is the Docs (In French):

Fist one is teh Doc explaining everything
and the second is an excel file with all the salt of the great lake.

- La chimie de l'eau des grands lacs Africains(from AquaQuebec)
- Les Sels Africains (from AquaQuebec)

Enjoy
Please comment.

darkdep

Found it!  Home Depot sells a 20kg bag of Potassium Chloride as a sodium-free water softener, for $9.99.  Perfect!