Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cycling tank #2

Started by k-dogg, November 01, 2006, 11:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k-dogg

i'm setting up another tank, malawi....can i safely take water from my already established tank (community)during water changes and add it to my second tank along with the floss filter material from established tank and assume it will be cycled? also, the new (to me) tank and 2 inches of substrate in it was from an already established tank. any help would be apreciated.
thanks,
kelly

mila

Substrate from already established tank is IMO best for cycling new tank, 50% of old water is good for fish, but doesn't help with cycle much.

Rudy00

most of the bacteria used in the nitrogen cycle are found in areas of high flow, such as filter media, taking half of old filter media while leaving half is a good way to seed a new tank, substrate and decore will have some as well but generally they are not found free floating in the water

k-dogg

i actually borrowed 2 filters from my friend to circulate the water as well in this new tank. both filters had media from his existing cycled tank. when i first added the water i stirred up the substrate and the water obviously became cloudy. i'm hoping that would help as well. is there anything i can test for in the water before adding fish? other than the obvious zero nitrites and ammonia?

darkdep

Keep in mind that the bacteria will start to die off on the filter media unless they have food (i.e ammonia/nitrite).  Moving the water is primarily to keep identical water chemistry and while it helps, it has minimal to no effect on seeding the new tank.  Old filter material is, IMHO, the best method to seed a tank.  Substrate helps as well, but I wouldn't rely on it by itself.

I'd add new fish immediately.