Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

a nice surprise

Started by SuperT, November 02, 2006, 04:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperT

Just cleaned the small 10 gallon last night and cut back some of the plants and was taking a close look at it this afternoon when I realized that the cherry shrimp population has exploded (thanks roop!!) and it looks like we have another little cherry barb to add to our collection.  I've always liked surprises like this, took a pic of the shrimp depositing more eggs (to bad its not very clear, i didn't want to disturb what was happening).

Enjoy,

Terry

[attachment deleted by admin]

zapisto

shrimp dont deposit egg  :P

what you see there is
- a hatch  :D
or
- a drop  :'(

SuperT

Thanks for setting me straight, i'm thinking that it was a drop. (oh well).  I've since discovered a few more cherry barb fry so I can still be happy.

Terry

zapisto

drop can be the result of the stress .... made by all your recent action in the tank.

but dont be sad, mean in a month you will new shrimp , if the barb let them live (the baby)

SuperT

Its possible, we did an extensive cleaning to all the tanks and trimmed a bit since everything was starting to come out of the water.  I have a ton more cherry shrimp than i started with, hopefully the community will continue to grow.

Terry

babblefish1960

As previously mentioned, you may well lose all your shrimp if you leave the barb in there,  it will eat them all.

SuperT

The barbs don't seem all that interested in the cherry shrimp (although there are tones of very tight hiding places).  I'm sure they eat the young, but since the shrimp community seems to be expanding i'm sure a few are getting away.  The plan is to combine the 10 gallon and 33 gallon community to a 55 (heavily planted).  I think we are going to get rid of the cherry barbs and keep smaller schooling community fish.

Terry

zapisto

Quote from: SuperT on November 03, 2006, 10:56:34 AM
The barbs don't seem all that interested in the cherry shrimp (although there are tones of very tight hiding places).  I'm sure they eat the young, but since the shrimp community seems to be expanding i'm sure a few are getting away.  The plan is to combine the 10 gallon and 33 gallon community to a 55 (heavily planted).  I think we are going to get rid of the cherry barbs and keep smaller schooling community fish.

Terry
yeah that's possible.
but take care.
smaller fish can be more hard on the cherry baby than big fish :)
and in school that's can be  dramatic.