Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Best lighting for 36"L x 12"W vivarium

Started by Adam, November 07, 2006, 09:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

After a long time, I've decided to take the plunge into making my viv heavily planted, both in the water and on the earth.  Initially it is rock formations making a land area; the rest is water.  I was thinking of putting 2/5 land, the rest water.  The water level would be about half way up, around 9-10".  The tank itself is 36". 

What kind of lighting options should I be going for here?  What is the least expensive?  I don't want a 4' shoplight, because it would look like @*#(.  Power compacts in this size are expensive.  What other options do I have?  Do terrestrial plants need as much light as aquarium plants? 

I would probably be going for low-medium, potentially high light if there is a cheap way of doing it.  The plants would be selected accordingly.

The inhabitants are a firebellied toad and newt.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

BigDaddy

Do you plan on growing any plants submerged, or only emerged?  If you aren't going to have any of the plants under water, then your lighting requirements drop significantly.

Adam

Quote from: Adam on November 07, 2006, 09:06:13 AM
I've decided to take the plunge into making my viv heavily planted, both in the water and on the earth.

Yes, it will be planted both on land and in the water.  I have been looking at a few photos from the ADA competitions, and there are some good ideas.  Their lighting is rather low, but they also have low light plants in the submerged part of it.  Does higher light burn the terrestrial plants?

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers