Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tap water pH

Started by Aquaviewer, November 07, 2006, 11:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquaviewer

I noticed in another thread some discussion about tap water pH being lower now than it had been in the summer.  I was curious as I hadn't tested mine in a while so I tested my tap water this evening with a freshly calibrated pH meter accurate to 0.00.(I live in the centre of the city)  I let the water run on cold (which should be just water comming out of the municipal system), first test was right after I tuned it on, second was after letting it run for 2 minutes, third test was after letting it run for 4 minutes and then taking a reading at 0 min, after 2 minutes standing, and after 10 minutes standing.  Not a really scientific test but here are the results.

Test 1 pH 8.94/17.8C(64F)
Test 2 pH 9.10/15.3C(59.5F)
Test 3 pH 9.16/13.1C(55.6F) @ 0min, pH 9.01/12.3C(54.1) @ 2 min, pH 8.92/15.1 (59.2F)@ 10 min

I also tested it mixed with hot water similar to what I would do to bring the temp up, @ 26C (78.8F) the pH was 8.87.

I'll do the test every so often to see the level of variation.

If anyone is interested the conductivity of the water was 150 uS/cm.
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

bitterman

What was the ph of the water after is sits overnight? It will change.

Thanks,
   Bruce

zapisto

Quote from: bitterman on November 08, 2006, 08:23:40 AM
What was the ph of the water after is sits overnight? It will change.

Thanks,
   Bruce
excellent question
i will want you let the water sit 24hour and test it.

PS: how can you calibrate a PH Metter to 0.00  ??? :o
     calibrate to 4.01 , 7.01, or 10.01 OK but 0.00 would really want explanation.

PaleoFishGirl

Don't forget to add your info to our Water Quality Map!

bitterman

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on November 08, 2006, 09:17:50 AM
Don't forget to add your info to our Water Quality Map!

I sent my information is a long time ago and still don't see it. I'm in the middle of nowhere so APW probably could not find the location LOL

Aquaviewer

My intension was to address the comment regarding pH right out of the tap.  Also the sentence does not suggest that I calibrated the meter to a 0.00 solution, I indicated that I had calibrated the meter (4 and 7) and it is accurate to 2 decimal places (0.00 is short hand). 

I have water sitting out and yes it will change. I'll let you know.

darkdep

Bitterman:  Google Maps can't find your address for some reason :P

blizzack1

Quote from: Aquaviewer on November 07, 2006, 11:10:59 PM
I noticed in another thread some discussion about tap water pH being lower now than it had been in the summer.  I was curious as I hadn't tested mine in a while so I tested my tap water this evening with a freshly calibrated pH meter accurate to 0.00.(I live in the centre of the city)  I let the water run on cold (which should be just water comming out of the municipal system), first test was right after I tuned it on, second was after letting it run for 2 minutes, third test was after letting it run for 4 minutes and then taking a reading at 0 min, after 2 minutes standing, and after 10 minutes standing.  Not a really scientific test but here are the results.

Test 1 pH 8.94/17.8C(64F)
Test 2 pH 9.10/15.3C(59.5F)
Test 3 pH 9.16/13.1C(55.6F) @ 0min, pH 9.01/12.3C(54.1) @ 2 min, pH 8.92/15.1 (59.2F)@ 10 min

I also tested it mixed with hot water similar to what I would do to bring the temp up, @ 26C (78.8F) the pH was 8.87.

I'll do the test every so often to see the level of variation.

If anyone is interested the conductivity of the water was 150 uS/cm.

Very interesting.  I also live in the centre of the city, and these results are in line with my summer water testing results, but well out of line with my tank when I was getting it set up in Mid October.

I'll go check them again tonight and update.

Cheers,

Josh

Aquaviewer

To followup on bitterman and Zapisto's questions.

I let the water sit out for 24 hours and here is the run down.

pH 9.10 @ 0 hrs
pH 8.11 @ 12 hrs
pH 8.01 @ 24 hrs

While I was at it I did some measurements while preparing 5 gal pail as i would for a water change.

pH when I filled the bucket was 8.93.  After adding Prime it dropped to pH 8.78 after I added the iron (Seachem) the pH dropped to 7.66 in a matter of seconds.  I added some Trace after that at the pH stabilized at 7.56.  I thought that was interesting.