Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

malawi cichlids

Started by Steve_2, November 16, 2006, 08:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_2

Hi,

I was wodering if anyone has any suggestions as to what other malawi cichlids I could add to my tank. The problem I have is that prety much everything in the tank is either all blue, or all yellow. I would like other fish that are either different colours, or that have interesting patterns. Here's list of what's in the tank. Can't be overly aggressive, but can be

- about 10 yellow labs( will only keep a male with 3-4 females once a little bigger)
- pair of midnight peacocks
- 2 demasonis(getting more, I had 4 but 2 died while I moved...not enough O2 in the water bucket)
- trio of Melanochromis johannii
- 6 C. Moori
- 3 juvenile N. livingstonis(which I will have to seperate eventually)

Im also about to get another peacock trio from Pegasus...

So....any suggestions? And also, if you happen have something for sale you think I might be interested in, let me know!

Thanks!

Steve

pegasus

Hi Steve

It would be nice to know the size of the tank, C Moorii and peacock do get big.
Since you have another peacock pair, it may not be a good idea to get another peacock trio even if it's mine. They would interbreed and even if you don't plan to go into breeding, you could never sell your females as you would not be able to differenciate the specie. On the other hand you could get albino peacock, the female would stand out among the others.
The Red Empress is one malawi that I have in at least 6 of my tanks and my best suggestion for yours.

Steve_2

Yeah, thats true....I was thinking that it would maybe be a bad idea to get twop different kinds of peacocks. If I was to get albinos though, they would still interbreed wouldn't they? I kinda like the idea of albinos though. Do you have any for sale by any chance? As for the red empress, that could definately interest me as well.

Oh, and my tank for now is a 70g, I plan on buying a second one the same size, and also a third of at LEAST 120 or bigger...what ever I can afford. Now that I have a house, I have more room for tanks! yay!

pegasus

My albinos are just 1/2" and 5 weeks old. The SRE are from 1/2" to 2.75" would be spawners in another 2-3months. So I guess I have another Baenschi trio for sale?  ;D

repeej

I'm waiting for the Boxing Day sale.   ;)

pegasus

Quote from: repeej on November 16, 2006, 01:35:32 PM
I'm waiting for the Boxing Day sale.   ;)
Don't ! Get them from gmann after he grows them up for you, with a well deserved bigger dip in your wallet. ;)

Some tangs do well with malawi.
Onother suggestion for malawi are Variabichromis moorii if you can find them. I have one and it's my favorite

repeej

Quote from: Pegasus on November 16, 2006, 01:58:51 PM
Don't ! Get them from gmann after he grows them up for you, with a well deserved bigger dip in your wallet. ;)

My wallet is in recovery mode from an expensive summer of boating....that's what a 260hp V8 will do to your finances.

Five and a half months to go and I get to do it all over again.  Woohoo!

cory

Variabichromis moorii??? pics?

Steve_2

yeah...what are V. Moorii??

I will PM you Pegasus regarding the REs.

pegasus

The fish is 2 years older and more beautifull than ever

[attachment deleted by admin]

Steve_2

Seems very interesting. You said they are rare?

pegasus

Quote from: Steve_2 on November 17, 2006, 09:17:22 PM
Seems very interesting. You said they are rare?
Not rare, but hard to find. For now, they are the only one of the Variabilichromis genus.