Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Yellow lab fry - upto 30 or so now after stripping.

Started by bitterman, November 18, 2006, 09:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

Well last night since it was just over 4 weeks since i noticed my 2 yellow lab females holding, I decided to finally catch the females. I was going to put them in a 10 gallon till they release the fry, but they both spit in the net. I know have about 15-17 yellow lab fry.

However, This morning when I checked on them, I noticed they were both still holding.. guess I should not have put them back in the main tank. Going to leve them as is seeing it was stressfull enough for the fish just catching them once. I'll let them spit the remaing fry into the tank and I'm sure they will become snacks.

On the BN front, I notice 2 batches of egss both recked :(  The first was wigglers, the the second was a newly layed batch of eggs. The wiggles were made quick snacks of by the frontosa, calvus and labs. I just threw the eggs back in the tank also for food, seing they were also recked.

I still need to put my tank back together, as my 2 larger 40-50+ lbs rocks are no longer in the tank.

Bruce

darkdep

Sorry to hear about the bn's :( 

If you caught two females and only ended up with 15-17 fry, then they would have more for sure.  I got 18 out of my single female last time (darn things haven't bred since!)

sas

That's tuff news :'(, sorry about your loss Bruce :(. Chin up though tomorrows another day and I'm sure you will succeed. I had a similar instance with my angels... made it to the wiggler stage and made the mistake of feeding the parents after they had snatched them up in their mouths. Down went the food and the wigglers ???

bitterman

I'm  not really worried about the loss. I know it is my fault and that if I want bn fry, I must get another tank to put the bns in for breeding.

I happy to get at least a few yellow lab fry as I was just goign to let them spit in the main tank, but I thought I would give one last try catching them as I had tried many hours before.

cory

Thats no good bitterman, i stripped my lab female last night and the holder i had them in tipped into the tank and my larger fry ate them :(

bitterman

Cory sounds like you had worst luck them me. Best of luck next time.

I just setup an old 10 gallon tank (I need a lid for this)... now do I put the Bn pair in there for breeding, or use it for the yelow lab fry in a bit descision descisions....

cory

I have like 50 lab fry. Its not like i needed the extra's. But i still feel bad.

bitterman

Well I stripped both females last night since It had been close to 5 weeks and I now have about 30 Yellow lab fry. They are eating NLS grow they are so big!

Bruce