Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

salt deposit removal

Started by damarech, November 19, 2006, 07:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damarech

Just bought a tank that was used for salt water.So before I start trying to remove the salt deposits is there a trick or something I need to know before I wreck the tank ?

bitterman

When I purchased my 172 it had a similar problem.

I did the following:

Plain water will dissolve the salt, so a new clean sponge or rage soaked in water will slowly remove the salt. Additionally calcium can build up in places and for this I used vinegar to slowly dissolve it.

It you have Coraline algae (My tank had a ton!), You will most likely have to resort to a Razor blade to get it off. Be very careful as you can scratch the glass.

Bruce

FishPassion

Not sure if this is any help but here goes, I have both sw and fw for used tank cleaning, 1) I use a new exacto blade to carefully scrape the inside of the tank being carefull to stay away from silicone seals, 2) then I wash out the tank in and out with water and dry it off and use a nylon kitchen pot scrubber and vinegar to clean any deposits not removed by exacto blade. For the most part this will remove most mineral and salt deposits thatI have encountered.
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

rickster

:)I have to agree vinegar is the way to go,just cleaner a tank the other day it was salt about 10 yrs ago and i would still get salt creep .Anyway i had to remove top and bottom frame and clean with vinegar and the re silicone the frames on ....with aquarium safe silicone .....quite the task but it's worth it in the long run . take care Rickster