Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How do I get a large pleco out of the tank?

Started by kitten, November 27, 2006, 01:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitten

Hey everyone,

Well, I'm going to be moving in December to a new house and I'm trying to figure out how to get my pleco out of the tank and into the styrofoam cooler for transport.  I had oodles of fun moving him from one tank to another when he was 3/4 the size he is now.

I've worked out how the rest of my tanks/fish will get moved, but the pleco is more of a challenge.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how to get him out of the tank and into the cooler with as little damage possible to all those involved that would be fabulous.

He's about 13-14 inches long, including the tail, and is fairly aggressive.

Thanks,
-Sacha

cory

babblefish1960

Quite frankly, if he's that large, forget about bags, you are going to be transporting this one in a bucket, they have spines, and the thrashing will puncture the bag you might put it in.

The best way to catch him, if you're calm, is with your hands, but be wary of the spines, and don't forget they like to wedge themselves in things when threatened. The other thing you could do, if you feel you or it might get hurt doing this, is lure him with par-boiled zucchini, or drive him in with a net, into a gallon jar on the bottom of the tank, then voila, presto, pleco in a jar.

Good luck with that one. :D

darkdep

When I need to catch my big fish, I remove rocks and then use a piece of eggcrate sized to the tank to slowly drive them to one side.  Then I can use a large net or the eggcrate itself to get them out of the tank.

sas

Large net, not sure who carries them SP or Big Als. They're 12" at the top and about 6" at the handle. Handle is short which makes maneuverability great.The netting is black and my big guys usually just swim into them. Remove all decorations, turn out the lights and go slow, don't lose your cool. Be ready for a bath, cause there will be water everywhere. ;) As babblefish 1960 said pails work wonderfully, just make sure its good and sturdy and the handles are seated on the pail well. Don't forget the lid.

kitten

Thanks gang...

I definitely had no intention of putting him in a bag  :o  that's just asking for trouble.

I'll see if I can find a net, but I'm not sure about that method to be honest.  Isn't there a possiblity of his spines getting tangled in the net?

-S

babblefish1960

Yes there is, but only marginally, which is why I prefer to the lower the water level and use my hands, less traumatic for everyone, however, the APW's suggestion is easiest if you're in a hurry, and the pond nets from BA and wherever, are of a sturdier material that would lessen the possibility of entanglement. The most important thing, be patient, these critters are quick, and tough, so be firm, but gentle and you'll be fine. sas's remove all impediments such as decorations, rocks, and plants, is also good advice.

cory

Mine always seems to get himself stuck in the net. Just leave him in the net sitting and he will calm down and release him self. or gently help him.

charlie

UCGrafix

Simply use a small fishing net.

At the size he's at ! watch the barbs, it's a painfull experience if you get poked : (

beowulf

Why not use pierce resistant gloves?  I am thinking along the lives of rubber covered gloves used to work on roses.

UCGrafix

Quote from: beowulf on November 27, 2006, 06:46:35 PM
Why not use pierce resistant gloves?  I am thinking along the lives of rubber covered gloves used to work on roses.

Handling a fish is not recommended, and will result in taking away part of it's slime coat of witch is his protection against all sorts of illnesses, parasites, and ICH is pretty much guarantied.

beowulf

Quote from: UCGrafix on November 28, 2006, 01:30:25 PM
Handling a fish is not recommended, and will result in taking away part of it's slime coat of witch is his protection against all sorts of illnesses, parasites, and ICH is pretty much guarantied.

Sorry was not clear, I was talking in general might be a good idea to use gloves that are pierce resistant even if using a net to protect his hands.

Aquaviewer

I don't necessarily agree that using your hands to move a fish is any more harmful than using a net.  An improperly used net has the same potential for compromising the slime coat of a thrashing fish as improperly handling one with your hands.  The key to both techniques is that both you and the fish need to be calm (I realize this is relative) and don't move a fish that is overly excited.  Let it chill out in the water for a few seconds before you make the move.

Ironically, some of the nets used for recreational fishing can be the worst for damaging fish, particularly if they are made of monofilament, a loose weave or large mesh size.  A good net should have small mesh relative to the size of the fish to provide sufficient supprort along the torso of the fish.

Good Luck,

Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

rickster

OK this may be a crazy idea out of the blue ,but how about using a strainer (IE spaghetti strainer )the plastic ones work good and you can buy at the dollar store .good luck

repeej

Why not ask "Pegasus"?  He has a large pleco he moves frequently from tank to tank for cleaning purposes....I'm sure he could share his method with you.

fishyguy9616

The best container to use would be a picnic cooler if the Pleco is that large. The styro is not that strong. My preference would be to grab him (or her) at the head. Thumb on one side, middle finger on the other side, and index finger on the snout. Grab very solidly and hold on. Lift him (or her) out of the water and move to the transportion container. Do the same to return to the new home environment. That area of the head has very hard scales and the damage would be very minimal. As a fish judge I often use this method while judging because when you grab the fish this way it will always open all it's fins for easy visual judging. That is also what happens when you catch it in a net. Remove the stress and use your hand.
Terry

cory

Mine is about 10" and he is mental. I catch him with a large net. Ive him for around 3-4 years.

kitten

I think I'll go with the net method, and hope I can keep him calm enough not to tangle himself in the net.

I need to pick up a couple of large nets anyway, there's a 10 inch oscar in the tank with the pleco that has to come out as well.

It will be a couple more weeks before l start moving the fish, thankfully the new place isn't far from where I live now.

Rudy00

what about putting a clear glass jar in the tank large enough to support him with some blanched vegie in it , when he feeds remove it with him in it if hes docile enough to allow you to use your hand, if not try a line tied to the jar that you can tip it up with and then swiftly remove with him in it