Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How do I get a large pleco out of the tank?

Started by kitten, November 27, 2006, 01:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

I had a 10 inch one in my pond and how I got it out was with my hands but I wore oven mitts.  It worked well, I didn't get stabbed and the mitts didn't hurt the pleco.  It went promptly into a bucket.

Nerine

Let us know when you move and how it went!!

I love the oven mitt idea haha

when I have to move Spike I put a bucket in the water (low levels of course) and carefully push him in with a stick. He's pretty good most of the time, but gets angry easily
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

kitten

I'll probably be moving him during the week between Christmas and New Years... hopefully this will all go well, with as few casualties as possible....

blizzack1

Quote from: repeej on November 28, 2006, 08:04:16 PM
Why not ask "Pegasus"?  He has a large pleco he moves frequently from tank to tank for cleaning purposes....I'm sure he could share his method with you.

From what Pegasus told me, he simply puts a net into the tank ans his large pleco actively swims into it and waits to be moved to his next meal.

Not much help for the OP, but somewhat amusing!

kitten

Quote from: blizzack1 on December 06, 2006, 10:27:03 AM
From what Pegasus told me, he simply puts a net into the tank ans his large pleco actively swims into it and waits to be moved to his next meal.

Not much help for the OP, but somewhat amusing!

Very kewl!! 

Rick

Hi Kitten
I have moved my 12-inch gibbicep many times and the last three times by using a large plastic freezer bag: the ones with 10 bags per box.
In your case you will be taking the aquarium apart so you could remove everything from the tank except the gravel.
I lower the water to about 8, 10 inches or so and put that water in a 5-gallon pail. This is so the fish can't swim above the bag. I fill the bag with water then slowly, calmly and gently push the bag toward the pleco. Both my hands are stretched wide in the opening of the bag in order to keep it opened as wide as I can.
In my experience when the fish reaches the end of the tank he turns around and that's when I try to guide the bag so that he enters it. Sometimes he will manage to go around the bag but keep calm, slow and turn the bag opening around and go to him again. You will get him in with patience.
If he sticks to the glass then gently guide the bag onto him; if he escapes then again calmly and slowly go towards him until you are successful.
When he's in the bag be swift and calmly close the bag shut; let some water out of the bag as it probably will be too heavy. Lift it to the awaiting pail and let him out.
In two cases the pleco was calm while inside the bag and the other time he was agitated but at least he was in the bag. In those cases he wasn't in the bag long enough to pierce anything but even if he had I had the pail at the ready.
With this method there is no thrashing, no water all over the place, no need to take scissors to cut a net, I'm safe from the spines and I feel it's much less stressful on both the fish and the catcher.
My second method of choice is using my hands to catch him.
I hope I explained clearly my method.

Good luck with that and with the move.
Rick

kitten

Quote from: Rick on December 07, 2006, 02:50:33 PM...Rick

Interesting.  I'll pick up the nets any, but if my pleco is in a calm mood this could work... it's just a matter of him being in a calm mood, and me getting the step ladder so I can reach that far into the tank.

Thanks for the info :)