Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bettas and cherry shrimp

Started by RoxyDog, November 30, 2006, 09:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoxyDog

Anyone tried these two together?  Will my betta have a cute little snack if I add some to my 12gal? 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

beowulf

Quote from: RoxyDog on November 30, 2006, 09:12:53 AM
Anyone tried these two together?  Will my betta have a cute little snack if I add some to my 12gal? 

I think they just might.    My betta nipped at my Amano shrimp but they where big enough to swin away.

babblefish1960

Yessirree bob, the evil predatory swamp fish...er, betta, will devour those innocent and cute cherry shrimp with extreme prejudice. >:( In my most sincere and un-biased opinion, you should put the betta somewhere else and devote the tank to the shrimp, they are worth the effort. :)

Aiglos

Ive kept bettas with cherry shrimp;  keep it planted and you are fine;  they betta might get some of the younger shrimplets but your colony will still grow the bettas arent nearly as quick as shrimp are;  and the betta will pose no threat to the adult shrimp.

Adam

My cherries are unbelievably quick.  Whenever I see a flash in the aquarium, I know that one of the fish found one, but they always get away.  Bettas are pretty slow, I don't think it would eat them, especially if it's planted and easy to hide.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

sas

I keep cherry shrimp with a betta but my tank is heavily planted with a huge ball of what I think is green hair algea. This stuff serves as the nusery if you like for the shrimp. otherwise I don't think I would try it.

zapisto

this can be a party lunch for the betta , or will be ok.
some people had succes with this mix (and some other), and in some other case it was a disaster(like me).
do you really want to try ?

you never know what will happen, one thing is pretty sure, the betta will eat some of your shrimplet , but as aiglos says, if your collonny is productive as mine , the betta will not be able to eat them all.
but keep any fish with normal mouth away for your cherry.
Listen or not listen to me is your choice , but you have been warn.

babblefish1960

You tell em zappy zap zap, good advice.

RoxyDog

Do I really want to try?  Yep, I do.  :)  There is quite a few plants in there, I'll do some rearranging and maybe add some java moss too so they have places to hide.  Thanks everyone.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

zapisto

Quote from: RoxyDog on November 30, 2006, 03:04:31 PM
Do I really want to try?  Yep, I do.  :)  There is quite a few plants in there, I'll do some rearranging and maybe add some java moss too so they have places to hide.  Thanks everyone.

when i say do you want to try ?
i mean everything can happen :)
if you reaaly want go for it , i was just want to be sure you know what is the risk :) hehehe
if i can tell you mean i try also ... so i encourage you to do it because now you are aware of risk :)

let us know

squeeker

I tried shrimp and bettas, and they all became lunch (both amano and ghost shrimp).  My tank was pretty planted, too.  I personally wouldn't do it!

Laura

I'm with the folks who think they'll turn into a crunch snack.  My mom had cherries with a betta and they quickly disappeared - there were hiding places and plants too.
I've got a betta with a ghost shrimp, and it harassed the shrimp at first, but now leaves it alone and the shrimp can move around freely without being chased.  I wouldn't put my cherries in with him though and expect them to live.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Sarah Bella

very curious to know the outcome, please keep us updated...

RoxyDog

Aha!  It was squeeker who told me bettas will eat shrimp...couldn't for the life of me figure out who told me that.  I'm gonna try it...cross your fingers peoples.   ;D

babblefish1960

You snail weirdo, I wish you luck, you'll need it, shrimp is pretty far down the food chain for everyone, including us, so make sure you put lots of them in there so the nasty betta will be too stuffed to eat them all in one go. :P

RoxyDog

The shrimp are in (thanks aquaviewer!  ;D) and the betta has not seemed to even notice as of yet.  I took him out, put them in, and then dumped him back in about 1/2 hour later. 

PaleoFishGirl

mseguin

beowulf

Quote from: mseguin on December 08, 2006, 09:27:40 AM
Told ya so

Still early  ;)  I think most will survive but would not be suprised, especially for the smaller ones, if a few get picked off.

mseguin

That's why they have hundreds of babies