Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bettas and cherry shrimp

Started by RoxyDog, November 30, 2006, 09:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquaviewer

Glad to hear your plan has worked so far.  That Java moss will prove to be a good sanctuary.

I'm storing your Bolbitus in my shrimp tank for the moment and they love the stuff,  about 100 promptly moved in and took up residence.

Thanks again,
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

sas

Nice one.. Your Betta will be a natural population control. He'll hunt and get a few but as long as you've got that cover in for the shrimp you'll always have them. Our Betta tries so hard to get at our shrimp that we worry that he's getting stuck in the moss :D  but he always pulls out :)

Sarah Bella

RoxyDog

shrimp apparently LOVE java moss.  ;)

well, mr betta didn't eat them all, as I see the 3 biggest shrimp almost everyday.  one even hung out on the front of the tank where my son could see him (and so could the betta!).  the little ones are the same colour as the gravel, so they may be there and I just can't see them.  so far....success?!   :D
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

beowulf

Good to know as I might add some cherry shrimp to my office betta when I get him up and running.

Sarah Bella

I have some cherries as well (thanx to aquaviewer) and have been following the thread to decide what to do with them.   

With all the info on their hardiness and their prolific nature, and the fact that the smaller ones are readily consumed, I think it makes sense to breed them as a food source.   Hopefully this is a better, freshwater alternative to BBS.

Thank you for experimenting with yours and keeping us informed, it has helped a lot :) 

zapisto

RoxyDog

still can only see 3 shrimp.  2 of which are medium sized & pretty transparent, the other is quite large and quite red.  if I manage to see any little guys I'll let ya know.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

zapisto

Quote from: RoxyDog on December 15, 2006, 12:19:42 PM
still can only see 3 shrimp.  2 of which are medium sized & pretty transparent, the other is quite large and quite red.  if I manage to see any little guys I'll let ya know.
thanks
look like 2 male 1 female.

Sarah Bella

i have medium sized transparent one filled with yellow eggs. 

perhaps colour isn't necessarily indicitive of sex until they are older??? 

zapisto

Quote from: Sarah Bella on December 17, 2006, 11:59:51 AM
i have medium sized transparent one filled with yellow eggs. 

perhaps colour isn't necessarily indicitive of sex until they are older??? 
yes you are true :)
it is why i say look like :)
in fact there is some easy way to determine the sex , but it is visual way.

Sarah Bella

thanx zapisto, i only ask because i am very ignorant when it comes to shrimp. i had read elsewhere that the reds were females and the males weren't so i thought perhaps my female holding eggs could have been a male who ate some snail eggs. planorbid eggs and shrimp eggs look VERY similar to my old eyes.

I'd be very interested to learn of other ways to sex them.

PaleoFishGirl

Should have joined us in the chat room tonight :)

Sarah Bella

I did want to do the chatroom tonight,  *sigh* but since my computer broke a few weeks ago and there are 4 of us and only 3 working computers in the house i am forced to make the sacrifice until the rugrats are banished to bed.

are the chats logged?   if so i'd love to see the transcript...  actually, i think transcripts of all chats should be posted for viewing, i imagine there is a goldmine of info in those logs that would be beneficial to everyone. ;)

PaleoFishGirl

they are all logged - maybe we can post them under 'Articles' somewhere APW?
Here is the latest.