Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Letter writing campaign for accurate fish size info in LFS

Started by Laura, November 30, 2006, 10:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

I came across this on another site http://www.noclownsinacube.net/
Their focus is to respectfully encourage LFS (starting with Petsmart) to post more correct husbandry info on fish size etc.
I recall earlier discussions here on tankbusters and the appropriateness of LFS selling them.  I don't think it's their direct goal, but I believe it ties in as if anyone knew how big a pacu or ID gets, they may think twice about getting them.
As we all know, there's a lot of size misinformation out there on common fish such as Angelfish or Clown loaches, this project may help that.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

darkdep

cough Oscars cough

This is one of the reasons why in general I'll never buy a "new" fish from LFS unless 1) I go home and research it first or 2) I know WELL and trust the LFS employee.

Good idea.

beowulf

Always a good idea.  Last weekend I was an the Walmart around the corner of Hunt Club and Bank I think it is and some lady was buying an irredsant shark for her kids.  I explained to her they reach a good 50cm to maybe a meter and she is like really?  I told her they can reach that fairly fast and that I hope she has something big to put it in.  She then says, won't he just grow to the size of the tank?  I said that is stunting and is bad for the health of the animal and will make it sick and it will likely die very young.  The Walmart employee kind of looked at me funny and then asked the lady if she was going to take the fish and the lady still took it.....o well I tried.

artw

I've only worked at big als for 2 days, and on each of those days I had to tell a couple people that xyz fish got so and so, here, let me write down the scientific name, please go home and research it a bit.

darkdep

beowulf

Quote from: artw on December 01, 2006, 08:43:59 AM
I've only worked at big als for 2 days, and on each of those days I had to tell a couple people that xyz fish got so and so, here, let me write down the scientific name, please go home and research it a bit.

Smart man!!!  I always do that.  I have been looking into shellies for about a month now, doing research to see which ones I want and their requirements.  So many impulse shoppers that end up regretting their purchase.

Mettle

The average consumer isn't looking at their fish as a long term purchase. Most often it is an impulse purchase, especially when there are kids involved. A great deal of the fish purchased from Walmart end up going home to fish bowls, regardless of what type of fish it is... And the parents are often not upset at all when the fish dies, because the kids are only entertained for a few days and then afterwards it's another chore for the parents.

I saw this ALL the time while working for Super Pet. And it was a shame... Some people invested a bit more into things than a fish bowl, buying a 5 gal or a 10 gal tank. But in the end they'd still overstock or not clean enough, etc etc.

People can't get over how much it costs to set up versus the cost of the fish. Especially when we're talking about a cheap goldfish or something to that effect. People place dollar amounts on their fish and view them as such.

It's sad and sometimes pathetic but that is how the majority of people shop for animals. And I would dare to say it's animals in general... fish, reptiles, birds, small pets (hamsters anyone?), and even dogs and cats. Just look at the humane society overload.

We can try to do our part... but let me just say I'm happy to be working in consumer electronics now versus the pet shop industry because I don't feel bad at all selling overpriced gadgets and toys to impulse shoppers in the least.

artw

Quote from: DarkDep on December 01, 2006, 09:40:59 AM
You're at BA now Art?  Cool!  Which one?

Yeah I work at BA Innes 2 nights a week, and 1 weekend day.