New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

LFS Boxing Day Sales - Rumours

Started by darkdep, December 01, 2006, 12:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoisonJello

i hope everyone remembered to check there receipts..i was over charged on a few items, some never had the discount removed and some were not even the right price at all before discount.
I was at BA in montreal there fish selection sucks if your looking for cichlids but there prices are better then ottawa for some reason

not to many tanks were leaving the store but it was still a mad house of shoppers, lined up right back to the fish for cheak out

I went to buy some 36" T5 bulbs mainly, I wasn't really to inpressed because they raised the price on them but anyways i hope everyone got the deals they were looking for (and probably spent a lot more money then they planned on, i know i did)

I guess Quebec likes to sleep in not open till 1pm, not just BA everything seemed to be close till 1pm, stupid me went early to do some other shopping before BA opened, I guess i should have slept in also  ;D  not to mention driving there from cornwall in that snow was just crazy

beowulf

Ya in Montreal cichilds for some reason are not as popular which is why they have more marine which is more popular.  I was talking to both the owner (Brent) and the I guess manager of the fish room (Daniel) and they use to have a huge wall full of cichilds, tons of Africans but they where not selling very fast.  And of course like any business you keep what sells which is what they do.

darkdep

Yeah, I got disappointed when I got to the cash on my second trip but it was my own fault...I picked up two bottles of Seachem Purigen which were sitting over a price of $8.99, but apparently were in the wrong place cause they were $24.99 at the cash.  After I brought up 5 10gallon tanks to the cash, expecting them to be $6.99 each (I'm not even sure why I thought this; I can't find flyer evidence of this price anymore) they were twice that. 

Ah well.

johnbabin

Hey DD,

I think you were overcharged, those tanks were $6.99 according to the flyer (top middle) :
http://www.bigalscanada.com/boxingdayflyer.htm

darkdep

You know what?  That link is for last years flyer I bet.  I have the physical copy I picked up at the store and all there is listed is the 10gals with the top for $19.99.

Chinaman

Quote from: DarkDep on December 27, 2006, 09:07:48 AM
Yeah, I got disappointed when I got to the cash on my second trip but it was my own fault...I picked up two bottles of Seachem Purigen which were sitting over a price of $8.99, but apparently were in the wrong place cause they were $24.99 at the cash.  After I brought up 5 10gallon tanks to the cash, expecting them to be $6.99 each (I'm not even sure why I thought this; I can't find flyer evidence of this price anymore) they were twice that. 

Ah well.

It seems that they prey on our inner human weakness....I have been making
mental notes on the prices at BA, in particular a tank of gorgeous pigeon blood
discus, selling for $89.99 each, a month ago.  They jacked up the price to $101.99
yesterday.

On top of that, during the "Long" line-up at the cashier, I checked the items on
their shelves.  Everything was 20% off, including the discus mentioned above.
Did anyone on this forum actually picked up something that was 75% off?

And no, I wasnot ticked off at all, it's always nice to join in the mass hysteria...
it's just that I went there mentally prepared.

Sam

gvv

I asked what will be the price for a fish with price tag 29.99 and they said it is 25... I should say it is not even 20% down, but 16...

And now I have a big problem - I have to drill the tank I bought! Why did I buy it?

Regards

darkdep

I would have liked to have made it over to BA Innes to see the Wild Caught Africans everyone has mentioned to me.  The stock of Wild Africans at BA Kanata was, well, not impressive at all. 

Overall, a good day, and everyone saved money.  The door crashers were fantastic (from what I hear, the salt buckets being half price was amazing), I got 2 75gals for $89 each which is around half the normal price (I know, I paid normal price for two of these early this year).

darkdep

gvv

PoisonJello

the bare tank 5 and 10 gal was $8.99 in montreal the one with lid and light was $19 i believe

one item I bought the ticket price was $3.49 and with the 20% off it came to $3.99 that was just one of the few mistakes on my bill

Brent was the one that gave me the refund and told me they don't put the prices in the computers it is all done at the main office and he was really surprized about the price difference of there tanks compared to ottawa but actually there is a lot of items in the store that are cheaper then ottawa (you would think the prices would be the same in all BA stores)

the africans that they did have in montreal were $5.99 and under with 20 to 50% off but only had a few different species (all the fish in store were really cheap)

It was fun can't wait till next year  ;D

babblefish1960

Quote from: PoisonJello on December 27, 2006, 06:41:54 PM

Brent was the one that gave me the refund and told me they don't put the prices in the computers it is all done at the main office and he was really surprized about the price difference of there tanks compared to ottawa but actually there is a lot of items in the store that are cheaper then ottawa (you would think the prices would be the same in all BA stores)

With Big Al's stores specifically, there are two types, franchise stores, such as the two we have in Ottawa, and Corporate stores, such as in Montreal and the greater Toronto area. The corporate stores almost always have prices more in keeping with the Big Al's website, whereas the local franchises are competing with both, as they have to pay royalties to Big Al's as a corporation for using their name and selling their products. Just an FYI as to why not all things seem equal sometimes.

Mettle

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on December 27, 2006, 07:26:03 PM
With Big Al's stores specifically, there are two types, franchise stores, such as the two we have in Ottawa, and Corporate stores, such as in Montreal and the greater Toronto area. The corporate stores almost always have prices more in keeping with the Big Al's website, whereas the local franchises are competing with both, as they have to pay royalties to Big Al's as a corporation for using their name and selling their products. Just an FYI as to why not all things seem equal sometimes.

As far as I know the Big Al's in Montreal is a franchise, the owner's name is Brent.  He is a Montrealer who made a good deal of money from working in the computer industry in California and he came back after the crash in the late 90s and used some of the money he made to open the BAs a few years ago because of his love of fish.