Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

US pricing so much cheaper!

Started by KLKelly, December 01, 2006, 03:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

A friend of mine in the states let me know that BigAls online was having free shipping over $50.00 and an extra 15% off for PayPal users.  PetSmart Online has the freshwater master test kits for $13.99.

The Aquaclear 110s are only $39.99 US But since I'm in Canada they tack on a $19US Shipping charge..  I checked pricing at BigAls yesterday and the AC110's there were $89.99 (unless I'm mistaken).

Why are the Canadian prices so much more? 
Any idea how to take advantage of these US prices w/o paying an arm and a leg for shipping?

Karrie

kennyman

Thats the cost of doing business in a country that has a more comprehensive social network and significantly smaller population  ::)

BigDaddy

Karrie:

Trust me.. this topic gets covered quite regularly.

Its a simple question of supply and demand

A company selling to a population of 30 million people doesn't have to be as competitive as a company selling to a population of 300 million people.

Larger consumer bases drive down pricing (in general).

artw

well you can do what I do
have XYZ Company ship to a friend in the USA and then either have him mail it to you, have him bring it up to you when he visits, or pick it up when you go down there.   I have probably saved thousands of dollars over the last 3 or 4 years doing this.
not just fish stuff either, dive gear, electronics, computer equipment.

BigDaddy

Until Nelson and the CBA nails ya...

artw

I highly doubt they'd care if I brought back $100 or so of fish stuff over my weekend quota.  I have gotten pretty good at crossing the border anyway.  "$25, just a couple cases of fanta and some junk food"

KLKelly

I was thinking about having her ship it to me also - just inconvenient.

Sucks because it's such a good deal.  Dang!

darkdep

Is it, tho?

Is hooking up a deal with a friend, arranging a second shipping, dealing with customs, risking doing something technically illegal, is it worth your time for a few more bucks?

In some cases yes, just be sure you know the answer.

beowulf

Quote from: DarkDep on December 01, 2006, 04:18:10 PM
Is it, tho?

Is hooking up a deal with a friend, arranging a second shipping, dealing with customs, risking doing something technically illegal, is it worth your time for a few more bucks?

Ummm I am listening....did I mention I work for the CBSA?  I was a Border Service officer in MOntreal but now I am a program officer at HQ.   ;)

zapisto

Quote from: DarkDep on December 01, 2006, 04:18:10 PM
Is it, tho?

agree

babblefish1960

Quote from: beowulf on December 01, 2006, 04:51:52 PM
Ummm I am listening....did I mention I work for the CBSA?  I was a Border Service officer in MOntreal but now I am a program officer at HQ.   ;)
Busted!  :D You have to know Nelson then, he invented the border.  ;D

beowulf

Quote from: BigDaddy on December 01, 2006, 03:37:55 PM
Until Nelson and the CBA nails ya...

Who is this Nelson?  Last name?  Where does he work?  And it's CBSA get that right!!!!!  ;D

babblefish1960

Quote from: beowulf on December 01, 2006, 05:05:50 PM
Who is this Nelson?  Last name?  Where does he work?  And it's CBSA get that right!!!!!  ;D
It is both his user name here, and his real name, and he worked for the CBSA for donkey's years, I think he just recently retired, or at least has more time to spend on his salt tank.

blizzack1

Quote from: BigDaddy on December 01, 2006, 03:24:05 PM
Karrie:

Trust me.. this topic gets covered quite regularly.

Its a simple question of supply and demand

A company selling to a population of 30 million people doesn't have to be as competitive as a company selling to a population of 300 million people.

Larger consumer bases drive down pricing (in general).

There is a similar thread about the same thing, only on Costco.ca vs Costco.com on Pricenetwork.ca, an excellent forum for those that haven't heard of it.  They even have a few aquarium forums on there.

Here is the Costco thread:

http://www.pricenetwork.ca/forum/showthread.php?s=b0c12d56cee5ce0f46d67946143663c3&threadid=76620

The undervalued Canadian Dollar played a strong role in this a while back, and is taking a really long time (or isn't bothering at all) in a lot of cases to 'correct' itself.  I guess companies don't see the need to reduce the prices that Canadians were presumably OK paying to start with.

gonzobluefuzz

Quote from: artw on December 01, 2006, 03:36:12 PM
well you can do what I do
have XYZ Company ship to a friend in the USA and then either have him mail it to you, have him bring it up to you when he visits, or pick it up when you go down there.   I have probably saved thousands of dollars over the last 3 or 4 years doing this.
not just fish stuff either, dive gear, electronics, computer equipment.

Similarly if your order is big enough to make it worthwhile. Get it shipped to a "UPS Store" on the other side of the border. drive down and pick it up A guy I work with gets all his E-Bay wins sent there ,apparently it's only 5 bucks a package.
Just a thought

Cheerz

KLKelly

Thats actually a great idea. I'll have to check it out.

Karrie

Nerine

yeah don't lie at the border...they aren't nice :)

if you're polite and all, they only tax you on product, it really doesn't cost much and it is so worth it!! my friend and I had snakes fedex'ed to NY, drove down, picked them up and drove back...cost us 60$ in taxes for 23 snakes! :)

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

beowulf

You saying I am not nice?  :-[ :'(   Just doing our job!!!  And yes if comming from the US you will only be taxed on GST and PST.   Not worth lying because if you get caught your record will last 7 years and you will be searched every time you enter Canada.

KLKelly

I could never lie.  I am nervous just answering their questions honestly.  I find them just a tad bit intimidating but I'm sure they are very nice  ;D

I go down to Watertown - SalmonRun Mall every couple of months to do some shopping and always pay duty.  For some reason they think its strange that I would go down for a few hours to shop.

Karrie