Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Neons and Cardinals

Started by neon, December 04, 2006, 01:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

Can you mix neon tetras with cardinal tetras?

beowulf

Quote from: neon on December 04, 2006, 01:16:49 PM
Can you mix neon tetras with cardinal tetras?

I don't see why not.

BigDaddy

Why would you want to though?  The cardinals will make the neons look so small and dinky  :)

beowulf

Quote from: BigDaddy on December 04, 2006, 02:37:33 PM
Why would you want to though?  The cardinals will make the neons look so small and dinky  :)

Didn't want to say anything....I mean they do say size does not matter!!!  :D

RoxyDog

can't think of any particular reason not to mix them.  but as BD said, the cardinals will make the neons look, err, 'dinky'.   :D

and as far as what *they* say...um, sure. ;)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Laura

Wouldn't they school better as a group of a single species?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Aquaviewer

I have 12 cardinals with a 3 rummy nose and they all hang out together.  There are a few glow light tetras in the same tank and they don't mix at all.

Once you mix them its really hard to catch them after, particularly if you have a school in a planted tank.

A large school of cardinals looks really good.
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

zippity

well i have about 6 cardinals and 6 neons in my 55 gal planted tank and they all school together most of the time. In honesty when all the fish are together like that and unless you are really trying to divide them out, it looks like I have 12 cardinals and not just 6 so I don't see the big difference.

UCGrafix

Quote from: BigDaddy on December 04, 2006, 02:37:33 PM

I was thinking along the same lines.
Plus the Cardinals are way better looking / color wise.

neon

Thanks everyone.  Reason I ask is because I already have 6 neons and would like to have cardinals also.  I'll let you know if the neons look "dinky".   ;D

Nerine

neons are cheaper than cardinals....that's the only reason I'd mix haha make it look like there were "baby" cardinals ;)
good luck :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

neon

Well, the cardinals are definately brighter than the neons, but the neons I have are bigger than the cardinals so they don't look "dinky", afterall.  They all school together, too.