Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ideas for 75 gal

Started by Nerine, December 05, 2006, 06:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

Does anyone have any suggestions on what they like better? Trying to decide what I want in my tank next...right now it houses 1 gourami, a handful of tiger barbs, rainbows, red tail shark and some plecos, which all can be easily placed in other places. it's a 75 gal

tank example 1: Silvertip sharks with mono or scats (they would eventually move up to the big big tank)
2: Silver dollars with ??
3: a nice pair of pink kissing gouramis with ??
4: tiger barbs and some misc tetra or something
5: cichlids
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

bitterman

Cichlids all the way cichlides rule! Even better try a planted cichlid tank! (Very hard but looks awsome!)

BigDaddy

Planted cichlid tanks are a breeze... some apistos... or maybe rams... perhaps some keyholes... maybe a few discus.  All on a beautiful planted backdrop.

Not quite sure what bitterman was referring to ... ;)

Nerine

if I go cichlids...I need a species :)
I have 12 of them right now in my 55 (they are youngsters) Haplochromis Obliquidens...or so they were sold as lol I still get conflicting answers with them :P but they are lake victoria and an haplochromis obliquiden of some sort :)
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Nerine

I have plants in my 55 right now...mostly silk haha but I do have some sort of duckweed type plant but huge...I don't know the name of it, was given to me by a friend who has a turtle tank.

my 75 is planted right now...I was debating switching the 55's occupants to the 75...but then I don't know what to do with my plecos haha (anyone want one? :D )

mseguin

Try something cool but not super common, like a pair of Geophagus or something like that.

Rudy00

sas

Discus are cool in a planted tank. Very personable if taken care of properly. Plants and fish give you lots of challenges ;D.Or.. Koi angels etc. with cardinal or neon tetras:) Don't forget loaches, gotta have the crack fish of the aquarium world ;D

Mettle

Quote from: mseguin on December 05, 2006, 07:24:54 PM
Try something cool but not super common, like a pair of Geophagus or something like that.

Geos are amazing and some of the types out there are simply gorgeous. The males can have such great personality and colours when in breeding. Not to mention seeing them do their 'dance' is always entertaining.

My personal pic for a 75 gallon if I was designing it today would be an Asian themed tank with loaches, barbs, gouramis and probably some other stuff in there as well. Lots of colour. And of course planted.

pegasus

I 'd sell at least 8 of those haplochromis obliquiden if not all and rethink my tanks, maybe stay with American fish. The 75 is a beautifull breeding tank compared to the 55, the later being a better display tank.

beowulf

Some sort of amazon or asian biopic would be nice.  As mentioned discus with the proper tetras or loaches with some other asian fish could be very nice.

Nerine

I gave away one clown loach after one died :( it was so sad!! he was 15 years old!!! (his friend is 15 as well)

is that an offer Pegasus?? ;) I've been trying to unload them on people, I sold 25 of them already when they were very young!!

I've done gouramis and I want something I really haven't done that much!!

And yes,I am going salt water....if I don't do silvertips then my salt water tank will be the huge tank (I think it's almost 200 gal) it's just sitting in storage right now collecting dust :(

I do like the idea of a planted tank...mine just has your common household varieties of moss, floaters and swords and I think a few cryptos.

Never owned discus before, but I have owned angels!

I agree that the 55 is a better display tank...so is the 75 when done up nicely ;)

new2H2O

hi hon!!!

If i could do it over i would go africans all the way!

They're curious and sooo colourful. and you can definetly do it planted, you just have to pick the right plants becasue they like to chomp!!!

Let me know what you decide!!!

PaleoFishGirl

bitterman

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on December 06, 2006, 09:21:08 AM
More rainbows!!

Why not Brackish/Mangrove setup.. thats what you told me to do with the 95 Corner Tank I'm purchasing :)

beowulf

I would love to do some sort of brakish setup.  Likely a Paludarium with archers fish so that I can watch their natural archering techniques.  Mayeb also some sort of brakish newt or something along those lines.

beowulf

I still think it's all about the loaches!!

Nerine

I'm a catfish lover :D I need one more tank just for loaches hahaha
my tattoo is going to be of a catfish that's for sure! :D

I'm leaning towards some silver dollars and leporanis (I can't speel) maybe :)

White Lightning

I myself would go with various gouramis. They are a blast to watch. Cheap,colourful, easy to care for, and some grow to be decent sizes. I have a sixty gallon that is stocked with 15 different types of gouramis and a cleaning crew. And they are very interesting to watch. My next tank will be cichlids though.