Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rainbowfishes spawning - VIDEO!

Started by PaleoFishGirl, December 09, 2006, 07:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoFishGirl

I took 2 minutes of video one morning because my fish are so much fun to watch.  Every day, I feed them shortly after the lights come on.  After they eat, the spawning behaviour begins.

Usually the Boesemani Rainbowfish (Melaontaenia boesemani) are the easiest to spot breeding because the male is so vibrant - just look for the dark blue/bright yellow fish.  In this video, the male is trying really hard but is being terrorized by my big male Western Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia splendida australis). 

From 0:39 to about 1:00, a pair of Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia duboulayi) can be seen spawning all over the tank!

At 1:18, the male Boesemani finally gets the girl ;D

Watch the Video!

babblefish1960

What a randy bunch of rainbows, they clearly have no sense of propriety, but that was an interesting film, how did you tape that? Your tank looks lovely and lush of course, you're obviously doing something well in there.

sas

Great video :) Certainly a very busy bunch of fishies ;D Thought our clown loaches were active but your rainbows put them to shame. Beautiful tank :) Is that a lotus in the center.. the maroon plant?

PaleoFishGirl

I recorded it with my digital camera (Olympus C750 UltraZoom) - the original video looks better but whatever YouTube does to compress it kind of mucks it up a bit.

The plant is indeed a Red Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea zenkeri).  I can't stop growing the things, they're sprouting up everywhere! ;D

torch89

Your film and pics of rainbow fish on this site really make me want some.  Nice fish, nice tank. 

PaleoFishGirl

I can hook you up with a spawning mop full of eggs if you want ;)  PM me :)

sas

Quote from: torch89 on December 10, 2006, 01:58:11 PM
Your film and pics of rainbow fish on this site really make me want some.  Nice fish, nice tank. 
I was contemplating the same notion but ::) that would mean another tank :-[ NOT going to happen. Guess I can only wish :'( Need a bigger house :)