Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Super Pet on Innis

Started by normc, December 09, 2006, 08:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normc

Super pet on Innis opened today. I was talking to one of the staff in the fish area she was very nice but I think she needs more training. She didn't know what a quarantine tank was ???

babblefish1960

One of the issues for the lfs, no matter where it is or who it is, they don't pay very much, and it is usually a job to get through school or something. So naturally, they often are stuck getting someone willing to work like that. Given time however, there are eventually very knowledgeable people working in these places. The two Mikes and Matt that manage the fishrooms for the other three superpets, and Jody, Andrew, Owen, Art and Sean to name a few at the two BA's. This sort of basic knowledge comes slowly, with a new store, we need patience.

Jesse

You are right about alot of people not being trained enough. Being a SP employee myself, I have seen 1st hand. Now im not saying im an expert, but there are alot of people that know there stuff. Mike Country at SP Barrhaven is a smart guy. I have even seen some people at Big als that dont know much. At the Kanata location I was talking to a young man and he had to lookl through a bunch of books and didnt know the nitrogen cycle!

Steve_2

I actually went to the SP in orleans today, and I was happy with the service I got. But I was lucky because, of the 3 employees that were in the fish section, the one that served me was the only one that really knew what he was talking about. There was also two girls and I heard them make bad suggestions to customers. Nothing that will kill fish for exemple, but still. I think they will just need some time to get better. I live 5 minutes away from the SP and I almost feel like getting a job there...evenings. I work full time as a vet tech, but I have nothing ebtter to do week nights. Maybe I could teach them a few things. haha

Does anyone know if SP Orleans will offer discounts for OVAS members?

Steve

babblefish1960

In actual fact, I have no information on that, I will be visiting there to enquire after such a thing, but I would imagine that as the regional manager is still the same man for all the stores, that it would naturally be applied at this new location.

I will certainly look into it and post my findings. Thanks for the question.

Baldrick

If you're careful, there are people in the big chains who know what they're about. My son and I were lucky when we first launched ourselves into this hobby, and got really good advice. We quickly realized that we wanted to wait until those we trusted were in the store before looking for answers though.

It was a bit worrisome listening to one of the local radio stations interviewing a manager at the new store today - he was correct in saying a new tank had to run for a few days before fish were added, but when asked why, he replied "ummmm, because of the chemicals in city water ".

Mettle

I don't know everything there is to know about fish. And for the most part I have cut back on the hobby, only running my 72 gal bowfront now, concentrating my other efforts on herps. (More inerteractive and rewarding for me, personally. And still not a huge dedication with the small collection I have.) But one of the big reasons I left SP Barrhaven was because of the bad pay and the fact that I basically had to beg for a raise... The business is run poorly and I couldn't stand it. So I work at Best Buy now and make MUCH more per hour, regardless of being non-commissioned. It actually amazes me what I'm being paid as a permanent part time employee at Best Buy. (Which to the terms of my contract I'm not allowed to disclose - but it's almost $5 more per hour than  I was making at SP which was min. wage.)

If these places want to keep the good employees they have to offer them competitive wages. That's where my latest wage increase from Best Buy came. It was decided by staff on our bi-yearly internal survey that we weren't being paid enough for the jobs we did and so head office gave pretty much everyone raises. It was great... This needs to happen in the pet stores so we can have knowledgeable and trustworthy staff in there when we go in... My dad has been inquiring at a few places here in Ottawa and in Montreal for starting a reef tank and some of the info he got is just wacky - and I was able to verify it was wrong and I am by no means even a sw novice, let alone a good source of info! So that's just wrong.

Long story short though... The majority of people who go into these places, specifically fish rooms, are not going to care a TON in the end about proper fish care. That's why places like Walmart still find it profitable to keep their fish areas open.

But comparing SP and Petsmart to Walmart is a little harsh, don't you think? I've never received service at a Big Al's that was so much better than that of a Super Pet or Pet Smart to relegate them to WALMART status. That's just mean.

artw

Where is the Innes store exactly? I may go check it out next week.

kennyman

I really miss the days of well run privately owned aquarium stores. There are still a few around but with the advent of Big Box Reatiers the face of retail in our society has definitely changed. I would really like to understand why people in this hobby seem so attracted to big box retailers. Is it more than just saving a few bucks on supplies? Is it wider availability of stock, better advertising or one stop shopping  ???

darkdep

People are impressed by "big" things.  SP stores are well laid out, bright, lots of supplies, and just BIG.  They have people who study this kind of thing and they know how to design a store so you THINK it's better. 

There is NO fish store I truly like...only certain people who work in them.

Rudy00

i'm thinking of applying to one of these fish shops in the ottawa area, i'm no expert but i know afew things about fish, i've worked in a smaller town's fish shop for afew years -- some of the stories i could tell you about customers...  I'm probably the first person to admit when i dont know something about a fish in question, i think thats the way to go rather than making something up!

speaking of which, anyone hiring at these places??  :P  I could really use a light part time job to pay off some of this university cost!

busdriver

Quote from: artw on December 10, 2006, 09:09:12 AM
Where is the Innes store exactly? I may go check it out next week.
Art, it's out near Tenth Line on the right hand side of Innes.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

groan

right next door to the walmart.

if you go in there knowing what to look for the place seems very nice.
the tanks are spotless and the fish seem quite healthy!
They got in a shipment of damasonis (sp?) (maybe it was dubosi) that look tiny. they had a case of ich and were being quarantined, but they had one fish in the tank tha looked different than the rest...instead of brwnish stripes it was black with white specles all over it.
cutest little thing i saw! if it were for sale i'd have grabbed it!

anyways, he couldt sell it to me because of the quarantine. i'll have to go back tomorrow and see if it is still there and out of quarantine...DONT BUY IT, ITS MINE!!!

not sure what it is though, or how big it would get and if it would be happy with my 3 labs and 4 afras...

sumik

Last week I've got Microrasbora Galaxy males thanks to a superb service in newly opened Super Pet in Orleans .  In my opinion  the service there is excellent and stocked with quality fish and plants. It was a rare experience to feel like a client in this kind of store. On the second occasion I've got some nice plants there - healthy and clean plants. I would say it was unique and pleasant experience while buying there. I am fully satisfied.

artw

Well that's good.  It's nice to hear satisified customers for a change.  it makes the people working at the store feel good.

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: sumik on December 11, 2006, 01:59:16 PM
Last week I've got Microrasbora Galaxy males thanks to a superb service in newly opened Super Pet in Orleans .  In my opinion  the service there is excellent and stocked with quality fish and plants. It was a rare experience to feel like a client in this kind of store. On the second occasion I've got some nice plants there - healthy and clean plants. I would say it was unique and pleasant experience while buying there. I am fully satisfied.

Sounds like you work there... or own it  ;)  :D

So far, so good, that's great! I can't wait to check it out.

sumik

I am not affiliated but attracted by a good service.   :)

groan

I have to agree with Sumik,

I purchased only hardware there and had to make a return this past weekend.
No hassle whatsoever.

I'll definately go back. it was nice to see bright tanks and welcoming fish room as well.
They also have a fairly good herps section too, night i add.
The first time i was there i motioned to an employee because i needed som help with canopies and lights and he started over, then stopped (while being at the other end of the hallway) and kindly asked if i minded that he had a snake in his hands. I said Of course not! bring it over! (it was a juvinile ball python) it was very cool and he was super nice to ask. So far i'm impressed.

artw

I am glad to see there are fish stores around that are trying to get back in the game here.  I have to be careful what I say on here since I work at one of them now.   Personally it always makes me feel good after helping a customer that they say kind words and thats part of the reason why I took a part time job was to help people.  I was visiting the other stores too last week and all of the tanks and fish stock looked very healthy and clean, and I happen to know the fishroom manager at SP Kanata and he's awesome :D

JandNCarpenter

The SuperPet in Barrhaven - My experience was very positive. I lucked is as I expressed my interest in speaking to one of the senior staff in "Fish" and ended up speaking to Mike Country.  I was very pleased with the service and information I received.  I did double check in a few books to be sure as in the end I put down a significant sum of money to set up, establish, decorate and put plants into my new setup.