Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

shipping snails

Started by PaleoFishGirl, December 14, 2006, 04:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoFishGirl

Hi all,

I'm heading home for the holidays on Tuesday and was thinking about bringing home some more Thorny Snails!

I don't want to try taking (read:smuggling) them home on the plane again - has anyone ever shipped snails? How would you go about it? Fish store people, when you get snails, how are they packaged? Any steps I could take to help increase survival?

Looking forward to your suggestions :D

babblefish1960

Melody on the site here, sells lots of snails, and has sound advice on how to do it safely. I believe there is another snail weirdo that Roxydog knows up near somewhere like the other side of Algonquin park, she too can tell you how to do it. While I'm at it, zapisto is a bona fide snail weirdo, and he has plenty of advice if you ask. Apart from that, make sure that you bring back at least one for me as succinctfish has been maudlin since the demise of our previous thorny and vampire shrimp.

succinctfish

I am sooo interested in another thorny snail if you do  undertake this quest.  Can I have a frisky one this time, none of this hanging around in plain sight easy to catch, I want a zippy moving one, just to increase my odds :D 

succinctfish

http://www.applesnail.net/

do a search under snail care, they discuss various ways to ship snails. 

zapisto

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on December 14, 2006, 04:22:07 PM
Hi all,

I'm heading home for the holidays on Tuesday and was thinking about bringing home some more Thorny Snails!

I don't want to try taking (read:smuggling) them home on the plane again - has anyone ever shipped snails? How would you go about it? Fish store people, when you get snails, how are they packaged? Any steps I could take to help increase survival?

Looking forward to your suggestions :D

no big deal chelsea, only the cold you really have to scare for.....
so dont forget some heat pack.
and where are you going ?
if it is in canada , dont worry for plane.
i bring back from US pike cihclid, shrimp and some other marvelous apisto without anyproblems, actually i was the attraction at the customs , Yes i declare them rigth away, and was expected to be sent for a check, i even now have 3 point of contact for the next time i bring some back.
they was surprise i declare it and did not try hide them , as i tell them, when you have nothing to reproch yourself why hide anything.

PS: if they are really cool , expect spend some time (15min in ) because everybody will want to see them :) :)

PaleoFishGirl

Thanks for the info, guys :) 

Apparently Matt can order them in from SuperPet for about the same price as what I paid last time at Petland in Red Deer, so I'll think about it.  Of course I would bring you one, Bryana :) 

If anyone else is interested, please PM me or post here or something before Tuesday - I'll be leaving the land of internet behind until January 2nd as of early Tuesday morning!

Zap, when you ship fish, do you take them carry-on or check them in as baggage? What sort of heat pack would you recommend? It's a 4 hour flight, plus an hour on each side at the airport I guess.

zapisto

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on December 15, 2006, 10:16:12 AM
Zap, when you ship fish, do you take them carry-on or check them in as baggage? What sort of heat pack would you recommend? It's a 4 hour flight, plus an hour on each side at the airport I guess.
i actually check the box in.
on this trip i was coming from Austin TX, and the air plane company tell me , "no no , dont do that , the box will be destroyed", but it was not the first time and i explained them everything.
they make me pass the box under a special for live animale Xray system to avoid any dammage to my fish.
actually i was very happy and did not regret reveal evrything rigth away, this open some door to me.

i pack all my fish and shrimp in a styro box (without "carton" , but i will recommend have carton")
a 24 hours heat pack will be enough for your trip.
if you have any question dont hesitate.

PS: here some info :
- the animal must not be on any endeager list
- you dont have any sign of earth in the bag, avoid gravel or anything who can be   
   see as some of soil
- dont put any vegetal
- have some print to show waht are they.
- dont hesitate to explain everything
- dont comeback with 1000 of the specimen, the custom will think you are doing business, and will tax you what is not so bad after all.

Melody

Sorry PFG, I didn't see the post until today and you're enroute I think.  Looks like you received some sound advice regardless.   :)

In case you are able to access from somewhere while you're gone, the only thing I would add about the Thorny Snails specifically is that they should be double-bagged, one snail/bag.  Their shells seem to damage easily so they wouldn't do well if they were banging together.  There should be enough water to cover them no matter how the bag lays, and the rest should be air.  Definitly utilize a heatpack.  They're quite easily found in Alberta I'm told. I found one at Canadian Tire once when I had to take a flight out of New Brunswick with fish, so you could try there.

Have a safe trip!