Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

55 gal

Started by daniel, December 19, 2006, 11:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel

;D ???how many fish about 3-6 inch could fit in a 55 gallon aquarium tank, that is planted?

non agressive fish.
mollies
guppies
gouromi
angels fresh water
cory
platys
that is what i want to put in the aquarium

[attachment deleted by admin]

Steve_2

Hard to answer without knowing what kind of fish you are intrested in putting in the tank.

beowulf

Quote from: Steve_2 on December 19, 2006, 12:15:56 PM
Hard to answer without knowing what kind of fish you are intrested in putting in the tank.

Exactly!  There are so many things that have to be considered on top of size.  You don't want relaxed fish with aggressive ones or fin nippers with long finned ones.  You also have to look at the water paramaters you are not going to put Africans with south americans for the most part.  We need more info at what you are looking for.

Steve_2

If you want to go with the species you listed, here is what I would recomend for yuor 55gallon tank...

- One pair of sailfin mollies
- 6-10 guppies
- 4 pearl gouramis
- A small group of cories(6-8)
- 6-8 platties

As for the angels, I would not recommend it. They grow larger than what most people think and they get nasty as they get older. Especially if they decide to breed.

With a 55 gallon, you would have enough space for more fish. Here is what I would suggest.

- A pair of kribs(they are cichlids just like angels, but behave better than angels in comminity tanks)
- 12 cardinal tetras
- bushy nosed pleco

With these fish, you would have a nice variety of colours, shapes as well as behaviours. You would also be able to see some breeding, especially from the livebearers(platties, guppies, mollies) and the kribs(provide a cave such as a clay flower pot).

All of these fish are also very easy to keep.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Mettle

I would be careful with the recommendation of the kribs. I have seen pairs of these go both ways in terms of their personalities. I've seen them breed without incident in a 20 gallon community tank. But at the same time I've seen an adult pair wipe out the majority of the inhabitants of a 60 gallon bowfront when they began to breed... So it can go either way.

Any time you're dealing with cichlids that are breeding you're risking this. Whether it's angels, kribs or something else.

Steve_2

True, cichlids can all be unpredicible.

In general the kribs are very peacefull. I've kept them for many year and I currently have 7 pairs all in comminity tanks with neons, black tetras, khuli loaches, plecos, cories, sword tails, angels, just to name a few.

I haven't seen them touch another fish yet. They only chase them around if they get too close to their caves.

Maybe I've been lucky so far.

Steve

babblefish1960

Though everyone's experience has been unique to there own setups and management, one thing that is fairly reliable when it comes to cichlids, with few exceptions, they can be very nasty when it comes to breeding, a large tank with a dozen cichlids that grew up together and got along well will become too small by a mile when a pair decides that they want to spawn. Ugly tempers and sometimes fights to the death are the order of the day in this situation. Something to think on when planning for the long term.

Sort of like planting a redwood tree right beside the front door, eventually, when the tree is reaching maturity, it will tip the house over. ;)