Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Loaches

Started by beowulf, December 21, 2006, 07:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

Loaches, who has them and or loves them and what do you have?

mseguin

I have 3 kuhli loaches, really like them, both shy and curious at the same time.

garnpet

I have 5 Yoyo loaches and they are always active in my tank.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

beowulf

I have had yoyo and they where always fun to watch!!  Never had the kuhli's but my brother does and they seem fun.  Currently have 5 clowns and 1 marble and debating which I want to get for my new 30g tank.  I would prefer something small that can live it's hole life in the 30.  I like the idea of striata as they are around 4inches full grown but I laso like yoyo and burmese which I have had in the past and the marble which I currently have.  While the current marble loves to hangout with the clowns, he might be happier with some more of his own kind.  The yoy is suppose to reach 6 inches and the burmese and marble 5.  Hard choice!!

Adam

I had 2 kuhli loaches in with 2 toads and 2 newts in a paludarium...sometimes I wouldn't see them for weeks, sometimes months, and then I would hear them at night racing through the tank throwing gravel everywhere.  They were a lot of fun, and I had them for a long time. 

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

jgolden

Okay, I have a weather, 2 zebra, 2 sand, 2 horsehead, 1 black, 1 dahli ring, and 3 clown loaches. Great fun to watch - especially the weather and clowns.

beowulf

dahli ring and sand must look into those.  I think BA has some sand.....

clouxles

I had 6 beuatiful clown loaches in my planted Discus tank until I read that their nocturnal habits could stress the Discus. Now, my snail population has exploded. I need to find a loach that is small, not nocturnal and eats snails... any idea loach lovers....? and of course not too aggressive

Much appreciated

Mark
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

babblefish1960

Clouxles, you could always use the index finger loach and thumb loach together to go snail picking during the daylight hours when the discus would love to see you.  :D Then, mister thumb loach and mister index finger loach could greet each other mightily, bursting the tiny shells of the snails and let the lucky discus eat the nasty little blighters. ;)

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on December 21, 2006, 09:12:02 AM
Clouxles, you could always use the index finger loach and thumb loach together to go snail picking during the daylight hours when the discus would love to see you.  :D Then, mister thumb loach and mister index finger loach could greet each other mightily, bursting the tiny shells of the snails and let the lucky discus eat the nasty little blighters. ;)

Ummm index loach and thumb loach can't find those on loaches.com for some reason?!?!?!?

Adam

He's alluding to his fingers...picking out the snails manually.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

beowulf

Quote from: Adam on December 21, 2006, 09:43:13 AM
He's alluding to his fingers...picking out the snails manually.

Adam

lol I guess you did not get my sarcasm.... ;D ;)

Toss

Jody, if you had seen Mark's discus tank you wouldn't recommend those loaches without snorkeling gear  :D
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

babblefish1960

Whoa, that would be quite the water displacement if I were to climb in there!  ;)
I had a deep discus tank myself once where I had to hold my breath to reach the bottom, the fish always came and gave me kisses, either that or they were picking crumbs out of my beard, I was never sure.  :D

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on December 21, 2006, 10:11:48 AM
Whoa, that would be quite the water displacement if I were to climb in there!  ;)
I had a deep discus tank myself once where I had to hold my breath to reach the bottom, the fish always came and gave me kisses, either that or they were picking crumbs out of my beard, I was never sure.  :D

That says a lot about your eating habits  :P

Steve_2

I also have some khuli loaches..5 of them. They live in my 30g hex comminity with a group of neons, a pair of kribs, some black skirt tetras, a betta, a bunch of very small BN plecos..and a few others. I love them...they are always right by the font glass as soon as I drop a piece of food in the tank. They really help to keep the tank clean by eating every bit of food that reaches the bottom. I'm pretty sure I have both males and females as couple of them get really fat from time to time...and then are slim again a few days later. I wonder if they actually breed in the tank...

babblefish1960

Quote from: beowulf on December 21, 2006, 10:12:44 AM
That says a lot about your eating habits  :P
Not so much eating habits as a mission. :D

Steve_2, that sounds quite interesting about the possibility of breeding, it certainly sounds from you brief description that this may be case, they are fun creatures to say the least.

A very long time ago, I had a blue that would insist upon climbing up into the large HOB I had at the time. Everyday after work I would come home, look around for the silly fish, and open the HOB, and there he was, sitting inside the filter. I learned the hard way about the razors the first time I picked him out of there, they are sharp. It was an almost daily ritual I'm sure he performed just for the attention and the free ride in my hand back to the tank. This went on for a couple years until one day I suppose he missed the HOB when he darted into the outlet flow and I found him on the floor dried up beside the cat that was just sitting there with him. Silly fish, they are very playful like otters.

dsylvak

I have six banded kuhli loaches in my tang cichlid tank. All of them are doing well.

k

normc

I have 3 clowns and 2 kuhli. I see the kuhli about once every couple of months.

SuperT

I have 7 clowns, although I only see 4 regularly.

Terry