Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Found a wierd transparent thing that swims like a snake whit 6 legs

Started by jee, December 23, 2006, 09:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jee

just found a wierd transparent thing that swims like a snake whit 6 legs , 1" long whit a 3 pointed back... look a little like a shrimp but it ISN't looks more like a bug, everything in my little 5G HEX comes from la niche here's a blurry picture i can't take a good picture my cam isn't accurate enought its too small
all i got in there is a little piece of driftwood and some hygrophilia difformis and snails and 3 neons...
anyone know something simmilar to this ? i tought it could maybe be a water bug of somekind

[attachment deleted by admin]

jee

i tought it could be a young of this kind..
http://www.insectidentification.org/insects/detail.asp?insect_id=35

Insect Name: Water Bug
Scientific Name: Abedus
Also Known As: Ferocious Water Bugs
Adult Length: 1 1/4 - 1 3/8
Typical Habitat: Streams and ponds.
Global Reach: Found in the western United States, particularly in California, Arizona and northern Mexico.
Able to Fly?: No
Number of Legs: 6

IT really looks like it but in younger and not as mutch color... maybe thats why all my other neon died...  what a worthless water bug! :D i hope their isn't anymore of this in there..

babblefish1960

You are right, the picture doesn't show it well, I would suggest taking this thing to the biology department at the local university, they may be able to help identify it. Alternatively, you could present it to a curator at the Museum of Nature also.

Apart from that, don't lose sight of it, it looks like something that bears further examination, and for heaven's sake, don't dispose of it, at the very least, preserve it somehow so you can determine precisely what it is.

Good luck with your investigation and hopefully you will find no more than the example you currently possess.

jee

Quote from: babblefish1960 on December 23, 2006, 09:26:19 PM
You are right, the picture doesn't show it well, I would suggest taking this thing to the biology department at the local university, they may be able to help identify it. Alternatively, you could present it to a curator at the Museum of Nature also.

Apart from that, don't lose sight of it, it looks like something that bears further examination, and for heaven's sake, don't dispose of it, at the very least, preserve it somehow so you can determine precisely what it is.

Good luck with your investigation and hopefully you will find no more than the example you currently possess.

i'll let it grow... keep an eye on it and if i ever get a ride for getting it cheked out ill do so ;D

KarEn

Regards,
Kar En
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 120 Gal Miracles Aquarium (starphire glass) Tanganyikan Cichlids |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cichlid Empire is built on intelligence, adaptability and a surprising degree of parental care for their young.

Aquaviewer

Shortly after I set up a 5g planted tank I pulled a couple of similar looking creatures out with the syphon when changing the water.  To me they looked similar to plecopterans (stonefly nymphs) that we see in streams around here.  Being fairly sensitive to issues regarding invasive species I figured that they came in on the new plants and they got the squish treatment.  A while later is noticed the carapace of a third on the top of the heater suggesting that it had turned into its adult stage an flew off somewhere in the house hopefully to perish a 24 hrs later.

This is one of the issues with bunch plants in particular that are cultivated in outdoor ponds in Florida and southeast Asia - they are vehicles for eggs and larvae of organisms that live in the water where they are propagated.  Some of these insects are predatory on smaller fish.

Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

jee

THANKS MELODY !! JUST FOUND WHAT IT IS
http://www.bugsurvey.nsw.gov.au/html/popups/bpedia_11_tol_da-ny.html
Damselfly Nymph
Damselflies are related to dragonflies.

What they look like:
Damselfly Nymphs have slender bodies, with three long tail-like gills at the end. They have extendable jaws that fold up under the head (like Dragonfly Nymphs), and legs close behind their head. Large compound eyes (eyes made from lots of smaller eyes) give them excellent vision.

Size:
16-33 mm long.

Where they live:
Damselfly Nymphs live on plants, among stones and leaf litter at the bottom of ponds or slow-flowing rivers.

What they eat:
Damselfly Nymphs are predators and feed mostly on other insects in the water, but they also can be cannibals, eating each other. Some larger species have been known to feed on small fish. They catch their food with a toothed lower lip (labium) that is usually folded under the insect's head. When a small insect comes near, the nymph will shoot out its lower lip to grab its prey. The lip is then pulled back and feeding begins.

Pollution tolerance: Tolerant, rating 3.
Damselfly Nymphs are sensitive to habitat disturbance. They need aquatic or riparian vegetation in the waterways where they live. 

What's interesting about the Damselfly Nymph?
More than eight-tenths of their brain is devoted to analysing visual information.

They do not go through a pupal stage to become an adult.

They keep the population of mosquitoes and flies under control.
Where they fit in:
> Phylum Arthropoda > Class Insecta > Order Odonata > Sub Order Zygoptera > Family (11 Australian families): Hemiphelebiidae; Coenagrionidae; Isostictidae; Protoneuridae; Lestidae; Lestoideidae; Megapodagrionidae; Sylestidae; Amphipterygidae; Calopterygidae; Chlorocyphidae

Melody

They're creatures that breeders have to be aware of as they love scarfing down eggs/fry, which is how I knew about them, or their cousins anyway.

Glad you got your ID - finding such things can certainly be unnerving. :o  I almost jumped out of my skin when one came out of a potted aquatic plant once.  I had taken it out of the tank for a good substrate cleaning and it swam out in the bucket.  It didn't live long in my panic I'm afraid...lol.