Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What Does Everybody

Started by elad, December 30, 2006, 09:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elad

Hi all and good day.

I was just curious as on to what everybody feeds there tangs?

And to how many times a day you all feed your tangs?

And if you substatute there food?

If so what do you substatute there foods with?

Thank you all I was just curiuos

cheers

elad
Solana 36 gal SW
35lbs LR
1black clown
A few cleaners
Aqua illumination  Sol LED light fixture
8 puck 24 led blue,royal,white,light
Combination
1 vortec MP 40
1 reefkeeper lite
2 hydor korilias 750

Seriously need to add to the tank lol

bitterman

I feed my Fronts , Syno Multis and Calvus (I also have yellow labs and Bns in the tank) the following:
-NLS Cichlid Formula (1mm)
-NLS Grow Formula (.35mm For smaller fish that can't eat the 1mm stuff)
-Freeze Dried Mysis mixed with spirulina powder (1-3 times a week)
-Frozen shrimp (ocasionally when I have them)
-Peas & Zuchini (For the BN,s but Frontosa eat it too, Once a week)
-Brine Shimp (occasionally)
-Fish filets cut up (Once every week or 2)
-Shirmp pellets (Once and a while)
-snails (I have snails in the tank that they feed on)
-Spirulina tablets (Once a Week)

I feed twice a day the cichlid formula/Grow.

babblefish1960

Would you be referring to saltwater Tangs?

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on January 03, 2007, 02:39:41 AM
Would you be referring to saltwater Tangs?

From his sig I would say it's the africans....

babblefish1960

Quote from: beowulf on January 03, 2007, 04:29:49 AM
From his sig I would say it's the africans....
You could be correct, but I asked as he has a lemon tang in his avatar, hence the confusion. :)

elad

Hey all No I am talking about African Tangs ( Tanganykan ) and yes I do have some saltwater tangs as well so just to clarify it is Africans I am referring to seeing is I will have some new additions coming soon and was just curious.

Cheers

elad
Solana 36 gal SW
35lbs LR
1black clown
A few cleaners
Combination
1 vortec MP 40
1 reefkeeper lite
2 hydor korilias 750

Al

What to feed will greatly depend on the fish you get - tangs covers a pretty wide scope of fish. Bitterman covered it really well for meat eaters, however, if you are going with herbivores, it is a different story - only the NLS and peas and zucchini would be appropriate - as well as a veggie or spirulina flake of some kind. If you are mixing fish with different dietary needs, you can try NLS as a staple although I haven't done this but many other people seem to have success with it. If this is the case that you mix herbivores with piscivores or omnivores, I would think about holding back on any other high protein foods or meats.

sniggir

I would juststick to one type, like for example if have troph's you realy only want them in the tank any way, but as for the rest I like to stick to the same food groups, makes sure that the fish are getting what they need rather than making them ill
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Adam

Any of the frozen insects/grubs/shrimp will be great.  It's good value for your money, and your wc tangs will accept it more quickly than pellet food, although they will accept pellets.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

beowulf

I love to feed all sorts of frozen stuff but try and mix dry food also just in case of a problem getting the frozen or if something happens to the freezer and everything melts.

elad

well all is good keep the info coming thanks to everyone who has replied but keep them coming they say knowledge is power so keep on coming.

Cheers elad
Solana 36 gal SW
35lbs LR
1black clown
A few cleaners
Combination
1 vortec MP 40
1 reefkeeper lite
2 hydor korilias 750

babblefish1960

"They", whomever they may be, also say, "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing".

So in keeping with both adages, you'll want to give the things you know, the things you've been told, and the things you learn a few test runs to determine what works best for you.

Fish and eating has always been a tricky thing, and reading your fish is so important. It is good to go wiith what you see the "other" people doing that is producing health and vigour in their similar fish.

It was a very good question with a lot of well thought out and indepth answers, good luck with your fishies, and may they enjoy your care and concern for their best provision.