Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

MASO meeting announcements

Started by babblefish1960, January 03, 2007, 11:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babblefish1960

Marine Aquarium Society of Ottawa, MASO, is a loosely organised club for meeting salties, talking about livestock and equipment, and is customarily hosted in member's homes. There is often a bit of frag swapping to be found at these events.

The next meeting will be on the 21st of January, 2007, and is being hosted by DARKPHREAK.

Please feel free to continue to utilize this thread to announce your coming events and meetings only.

webteam@OVAS

veron

Thanks babblefish for this sticky. I just noticed it. good to see. :)

babblefish1960

The next meeting will be on 4th of March, 2007, and is being hosted by redbelly.

Rudall

Maso 19
Date: Saturday June 23/07.
Time: 1:00pm - ...much later.
Location: 67 Mary St., Almonte, Ont., about 23 minutes west of the Corel Centre. Take exit #155 off hwy.417 west. Turn left from off ramp and go 13km to Almonte, continue on this road into the town, cross the railway tracks and ONE bridge. Turn right onto Mary Street. You may notice a sign for the Mississippi Textile Museum at the corner between the 2 bridges. That's where you turn! If you cross TWO bridges, you have gone to far.
Not a whole lot of parking available on the street, but there is plenty behind the Museum and on the street behind our house.
Hopefully the day is nice and we can have a BBQ, I'll provide burgers and hot dogs.
Don't really think people need to bring anything other than any items that you may wish to sell or trade. A few of the usual vendors have indicated they would come with some of their wares.
Hope to see a few of the Kanata/Stittsville area members come out. Everyone is welcome.
PM me for any additional info/requests.

Rudall

Just a reminder that the MASO get together is this Saturday 23rd.
See here for details.
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=13132.0
Rick

babblefish1960

The next MASO meeting is in Spencerville on September 15 at carrhd's place.

Check out this thread, http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12052&page=2

babblefish1960

Updated location information for MASO 20 found here, don't forget it starts at 1pm.

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?p=136378#post136378

carrhd

Howdy, OVAS folks.

Anita and I will be hosting MASO 20 at our place in Spencerville, Ontario (30 minutes south of Ikea) Saturday, September 15, 2007 starting at 1 PM and running until everyone goes home or we call the police to clear the place out.  We will also be showing off our new built in 220 installation and the new 7 gallon 5" x 5" x 66" fragfugium.  It's also a great opportunity to get a look at our partially finished straw bale house (the largest two storey load bearing straw bale home in the world.)

To get to our place take 416 south to exit 24 (Oxford Station Road, County Road 20.) Turn left (east) on Oxford Station Road (CR 20) and drive 1 km to County Road 44. Turn right (south) on CR 44 and drive 10 km to the stop sign at Ventnor Road. Turn left (east) on Ventnor Road and drive 1 km to number 2025 on the right (south). It's a big, yellow straw bale house with a red roof. You can't miss it.

Our LAT and LONG (for those of you with GPS) are 44.876065, -75.541900 (+44° 52' 33.83", -75° 32' 30.84").

We bought some ribs today. We've got a fridge full of organic, pasture raised beef (for hamburgers) and will provide a variety of soft drinks and munchies. Anita and I are both abstainers so if you want beer you'll have to bring it with you.

Vendors are welcome as are items for sale or trade.

For more information email () or call (613-658-5556) and talk to me (Hank) or Anita.  We've got a 2 year old and two cats so well behaved kids and dogs are welcome.  If you're a vegetarian Anita may be talked into making up a small batch of her world (well...Eastern Ontario) famous walnut burgers.  (You'll find them on the menu at the Buell Street Bistro in Brockville but the ones Anita makes with her own hands are much better.)

Please let us know by email if you are planning to attend so we know how food to have on hand.  If you're planning to bring frags or other material to trade or sell please let us know by email so we can let others who are planning to attend know.

Hank.

babblefish1960

Thanks very much for posting Hank and Anita, I am sure it will be a rousing success, and in such fascinating surroundings too. It should be a great meeting. :)

redbelly

I will be there for sure!
Anyone else planning on attending?

redbelly

barabe

Hi All,
We are newbies to OVAS... Any meeting scheduled for this year?

groupie02

The Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society (OVAS) and the Marine Aquarium Society of Ottawa (MASO) are two different groups. Some folks are "members" of both but the two societies are not related.

OVAS has meetings on the 4th Monday of every month.

When a MASO meeting is getting planned, we normally advertise it on the forum.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

groupie02

Reefmania will be hosting MASO 22 on November 23, 2008, 2:00 to 4:00, RSVP requested.

Visit Aquaria Canada for all the details and to RSVP: http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13624

rockworm

Oops, I have to check this board more often.  I am reefmania on Aquaria Canada, rockworm here (someone already had reefmania when I registered here  ;) )

I just wanted to confirm that I am hosting MASO on NOV 23 FROM 2:00 TO 4:00.  As noted earlier in this thread, MASO is very loosely organized.  While it would be easier if all RSVP's were on the Aquaria Canada thread, if you are interested in coming and have not registered on Aquaria Canada, you can RSVP here.  The RSVP is only to determine the number of people attending.

I am located at:
1152 Ste Agathe Park-Mapquest
Orleans

Ward

180g with 2x54g bookend corner bowfront.  220g FOWLR.
75g sump/65g fuge/90g benthic/fuge.

groupie02

Vizerdrix

It's too bad I already have plans, you're right around the corner from me (I'm on St-Moritz!), I could have walked to your place!

rockworm

Cool.  You will just have to drop over some evening or weekend.   PM me and we can set something up.

Quote from: Vizerdrix on November 16, 2008, 08:55:29 PM
It's too bad I already have plans, you're right around the corner from me (I'm on St-Moritz!), I could have walked to your place!
180g with 2x54g bookend corner bowfront.  220g FOWLR.
75g sump/65g fuge/90g benthic/fuge.

redbelly

Rockworm and I were talking and we thought it would be a great idea to have some type of demo at maso.

So for those that are interested we will be having a "How to Mod your Maxi Jets for use on a wave maker" demo.

This demo will include cutting the nozzle off of your MJ to creat a large square opening. Then when your MJ's turn on and off the flow will vary either 45 degrees to the left or 45 degrees to the right, creating a full 90 degree difference in the direction of your pumps output. This essentially double the effectiveness of your pump as now instead of having one sigle directional output you have 2, but from only one pump! So 4 pumps on a wave maker will create 8 random flows!

Additionally we will show you how to modify your MJ's so that they do not make that annoying clicking sound every time they turn on and off from the wave maker.

As you may or may not be aware, Maxi Jet pumps are theonly pumps that are truely suitable to be used on a wave maker where the power is tured on and off. Koralia have a very short life life span if used in this fashion as do almost every other pump out there where as your maxi jets will run for years under these hard condition. These pumps are a great little workhorse!

Also Please feel free to bring your own MJ and you can mod it on the spot after seeing out demo!

For those of you that do not have an MJ yet or are in the market for another one we will have a MASO prices only sale on MJ's.
If you are not there, sorry but no sale price for you!

Maxi Jet 400 Power Head $19.95 $17
Maxi Jet 600 Power Head $22.95 $20
Maxi Jet 900 Power Head $26.95 $23
Maxi Jet 1200 Power Head $29.95 $23

Please do post and let us know if you are interested both in seeing the demo or in purchasing a MJ!

Funkmotor

Ward,

Nice meeting you today...really envious of that not-so-little prize you got there...I'll definitely be out for MASO.

Cheers!