Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

sick africans

Started by rickster, January 05, 2007, 10:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickster

:( Hmmm  Ok here we go I got three of my fish (africans) that have one eye kinda frosted and its like they have a contact lens on .Another fish has a spot on his side like a patch where the scale are like worn ....kinda like a bald spot a bit .anyone know what these two symptoms are and what the cure is ,i notice it once on another fish but it cleared up .I had added some aquarium salt from BA's and it cleared up .well i think thats what did it .Any feedback is much appreciated .

Take care Rickster

Damien29

Hello,

I havent really dealt with that many sick fish before, but I've come across that once when a friend of mine left for a week. SItuation was a little complicated, but it was either high ammonia, ich, or fungus, or all 3 at the same time that caused it in that situation.

I'm sure someone else will post a more useful answer for you.
70 - 2x Yellow Lab, 2x Synodontus
20 - 5x Neon Tetra's, 4x Fancy Guppies + fry

Nerine

what are the results of your water test?

my synos went blind, heavens knows why lol

as for the scales, probably just rubbed off on something...they can injure themselves on a lot of things in the tank.

I've had feedback that some fish can go blind due to poor diet, (which I do believe ) or bad water.

A good variety in diet is always a must and frequent water monitoring, it irritates the heck out of me when someone says "I don't really need a test kit" :P it's like having a pool and not testing it...bad things happen :P

if you dont have a test kit, buy one! or take advantage of petsmart's free testing
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

rickster

I have started treatment tonight ,ph is normal and nothing out of the ordinary for trhe other tests ,amonia low .I think its a parisite or what they call a fungus maybe ,i  thank you for your feedback .take care rickster

Nerine

what are you treating with? wide spread antibiotic?
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

rickster

;)  Yes i am using a widespread product called melafix ,it can take seven day that the instructions say .i lost two fish so far but i am very hopefull on the product working .take care rickster

P.S. thank you for the feedback it is much appreciated .

cory

rickster

(STILL) treating the African's  :o Glad to hear feedback that it works but it is a slow process and the fish aren't very happy either .They  seem to be more lazy i think its the med's .What do you think and do you know how long it takes for this stuff to work ???

take care Rickster

Nerine

melafix is good but it's not wide spread....it's an antibacterial only.
you can use seachem...Neoplex...broad spectrum antibiotic, for internal and external problems.
And there is KanaPlex there are a lot of different antibiotics out there. I've always had good outcome using their products, and it's in powder form so it's easy to store!

melafix won't slow them down. I use it whenever I add new fish to the tank and it's never slowed anyone down or made them lazy. it usually takes a week for medications to work unless you're using something heavy duty.

Good luck!

rickster

What about pimafix i got that the other day when i replenished my supply of melafix .I am gonna try Neoplex or Kanaplex .....where is the best place to get these and a a good price .Thank's Nerine

melafix is good but it's not wide spread....it's an antibacterial only.
you can use seachem...Neoplex...broad spectrum antibiotic, for internal and external problems.
And there is KanaPlex there are a lot of different antibiotics out there. I've always had good outcome using their products, and it's in powder form so it's easy to store!

melafix won't slow them down. I use it whenever I add new fish to the tank and it's never slowed anyone down or made them lazy. it usually takes a week for medications to work unless you're using something heavy duty.

Good luck!

[/quote]

Nerine

first place to try would be big al's...
I got mine from Critter Jungle, I used to know them very well over there and one of the girls just gave me a bottle!
They are good people over there :) not to be confused with little critters!!

rickster

Going to try a major water change and a transfer most of the sick fish to a smaller hospital tank .hopefully it will work out ,five have died so far .  take care Rickster   :o

Nerine

hope things are improving for you!!!
keep us posted!

rickster

Well the 180 tank is empty now the lot of fish have been split up into two tanks ,Two 30 gallon tanks ,it make it easier to treat them .I divided them up into two groups the sick and not so sick .
I guess it is kinda good in a way cause the 180 had lots of rock's in it and it was hard to clean ,we also want to rearrange the basement so the 180 is getting relocated to a new area and will be built in a wall ,picture will come as work gets started .that all for now .Sorry to hear that your syno died .Take Care Rickster

rickster

???  well some have died and some are still alive .they are in two tank's the sick tank which is loaded with med ,and the healthy tank that is all the survivors .as for the 180 its ready to get a new home as a built in in the wall .......just have to build the wall first. So it was a frustrating spell ,but what i can say is when your fish is sick .....don't loose hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel .

Take care Rickster