Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Kribs

Started by beowulf, January 08, 2007, 01:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

What is the main differences between Pelvicachromis pulcher and Pelvicachromis subocellatus?  From the pictures on Aquahobby they seem very similar in looks, colors etc only a small size difference with the later being about 2 cm smaller.

Woody

Having worked with various Pelvicachromis species I can tell you that there is quite a difference in the species, pulcher, taeniatus, roloffi, subocellatus, just to name  a few.
For starters the coloration of subocellatus will put any pulcher to shame. Most photographs do not capture the colouration or do them justice.
Sadly though the increased colouration is stifled by their inherite attitude and overall nastiness. The better looking they are the nastier they get. It is nothing for a male to kill everything in the tank that is not the female, and the female to kill all other females, and then when there is nothing left to kill, they seek each other out for the final battle.
I use to keep the breeders I kept, and presenty keep in rows so that they can see each other and square off as to keep the inter couple squabbling down. Of all the pairs I have, or had I had only one pair that does not fight, and despite her best effort to coax him into breeding he doesn't finish the task.

Nice fish though, colourful, full of personality, but they require big tanks with lots and I mean lots of hiding spots.

Woody