Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Albino bushynose eggs - day 14 pics

Started by oenology, January 30, 2007, 07:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oenology

These probably won't survive the night but I am so pleased to see the eggs. I grew these plecos from tiny juvies I got in an auction in Guelph about a year and a half ago.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Laura

Great going!
Are you going to try and give them a breeding tube to see if they can give the next batch better protection? 
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

beowulf

Pretty cool indeed.  One of these days when I have the time to focus on it I want to try and breed some of my fish.  I am sort of trying now but don't have the time to do the research I would like to make things in the tanks the best they can be.

babblefish1960

Very cool indeed, it should be fascinating to see if they make it through the night. Here is hoping they do. Anymore pictures?

oenology

Amazing! They made it through the night with 4 clown loaches and 3 yoyo loaches, a bunch of rainbows, a pair of angels, cories, a pair of kribs and other plecos! The angels never succeed in protecting their eggs through the night. This is just too cool. And the fact that they are right at the front of the tank where I can easily see them is lots of fun.

babblefish1960

That is great, perhaps you have a keeper there that could start you down a new avenue with BAP points you never even thought about. ;)

bitterman

PaleoFishGirl

Congrats, Jen! That's so exciting!

(that's a really pretty rainbow in the one picture too ;) )

sas

That's great! Being a complete beginner would these be L144? Hope you have success with them!

BigDaddy

I am going to ask a dumb question:

Could you not just scoop out the eggs on the driftwood in their own container and move it over to another tank, or are you just going the natural route?

oenology

SAS: Not L144 because they are true albinos with red eyes. I have no clue as to their L #
BD: Natural route - I'm cutting back big time on the number of tanks I'm running right now in anticip[ation of huge renos this spring. And I don't know how sticky the eggs are. The peice of drift wood that they are on fills my 55g...

bitterman

Quote from: oenology on January 31, 2007, 01:17:43 PM
BD: Natural route - I'm cutting back big time on the number of tanks I'm running right now in anticip[ation of huge renos this spring. And I don't know how sticky the eggs are. The peice of drift wood that they are on fills my 55g...

Trying to remove the eggs from the drift would result in their death. I tried it with some normal bn egss on rocks I pulled out when catching my labs and it did not go well at all (None survived for me).

Bruce

BigDaddy

Quote from: bitterman on January 31, 2007, 01:27:01 PM
Trying to remove the eggs from the drift would result in their death. I tried it with some normal bn egss on rocks I pulled out when catching my labs and it did not go well at all (None survived for me).

Bruce

Even if the rocks/wood remain submersed the entire time?

bitterman

Quote from: BigDaddy on January 31, 2007, 01:35:09 PM
Even if the rocks/wood remain submersed the entire time?

The problem is removing them from the driftwood or Rock the eggs are a big gelatinace ball and most fo the eggs will be crushed if removed from the spot they are layed. Also the male Bn plays a large roll in the eggs hatching. Moving the eggs and Bn will make the male very upset! and who know what will occur.

Bruce

oenology

Just an update - eggs are still there - pappa is doing a good job taking care of them. I'll post more pictures as the eggs change but so far they look the same as in the beginning except for a faint whitish spot on each of them.

oenology

Eggs now have tails! I'm not sure if they will make it now because a few of them are no longer right near papa but have been moved away a bit by the current. I tried to get some photos - this is the best one. You can see one of the "eggs with tails" at about 10 O'clock from the bushynose's head.

PaleoFishGirl

Wow, they're tough to see but once you see one you can start to pick out others. How many do you think you have left?

oenology

Day 8 pictures - they didn't turn out very good - I couldn't get the wiggling eggs-with-tails in focus but there is a bunch of them. Papa has now got them moved further into the hollow in the wood.