Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

LFS report

Started by artw, February 07, 2007, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artw

Went to the new Super Pet last night over on Innes.  The store itself is pretty much a carbon copy of the Barrhaven store, layout wise.  There is no koi pond like in Kanata.   The fishroom however is laid out very nice, unlike Kanata the tanks  are sort of all in one spot, with rows similar to Big Al's.  The tanks look clean and healthy, with good fish selection and correct scientific names, other than the fact that the second word in the latin name is not supposed to be capitalized.  There was even a pair of angelfish tending their brand new fry.   Plants look healthy and were actually 50% off last night.
that being said there was nothing overly exciting fish wise, nothing to warrant a second trip to the 'Leans.

but its always fun to visit a new pet store!  they had the cutest kitty.

babblefish1960

Good to know, I knew there was somewhere I kept forgetting to check out. Did you buy the cat?

Nerine

I went and really enjoyed it :)
I spoke to them about the lack of a koi pond and they said it's in the works :D

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

kennyman

Is point of sale info purchased from a thridparty for those chains?

KLKelly

I've been there many times and I've had a good experience each time.  Tanks always look clean and the fish look healthy (no big outbreaks).  And.. they have rainbow fish : )  Just wish I had more tanks free so I could get some threadfins.  Its convenient for last minute runs because its so close to where I do my shopping.

babblefish1960

Quote from: kennyman on February 07, 2007, 08:35:45 AM
Is point of sale info purchased from a thridparty for those chains?
I do not understand the question relative to the context of the thread?

Saltcreep

Quote from: babblefish1960 on February 07, 2007, 10:42:32 AM
I do not understand the question relative to the context of the thread?

Well, you're one up on me, I don't understand the question in any context. ???

busdriver

Went there once looking for meds, didn't have very much.
Although everything Art said about the tank layout was correct. (Nice)
I will go back
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

zippity

I have been to SuperPet Orleans and the only fish I saw that caught my curiousity was albino Mel. auratus. The males were white and females were peachy yellow whitish, if that makes sense. The staff was very unknowledged of most things. But again they are new so any info I gave them they listened, HAH look at me an educator now.

As for the setup, looks good, same as Merivale and Kanata, never been to Barrhaven, hear there's lots of thugs in the haven so I get scared.

Now as for PetSmart, we gotta do something about that store. I figure if we all gang up on them, something may change. First off their prices are much more expensive on livestock and products. You got to wonder why hardly anyone from OVAS buys there. I only go there if I have absolutely no choice like last night and the staff was so appreciated of the info I gave on some fish. They hardly ever have any good sales on fish products, oh yea use your Pet Perks card and maybe I mean maybe you might get lucky, and then they do not recognize the OVAS card. Shame on them and then they wonder why we don't go there.

kennyman

QuoteThe tanks look clean and healthy, with good fish selection and correct scientific names, other than the fact that the second word in the latin name is not supposed to be capitalized.
Not that it matters. But I was curious if this is actually out of the hands of the individual stores because the info is shipped from third party suppliers or not. Like if they get a bunch of fish in and then go through a box of tags in the back to find the one that is closest  ::)

babblefish1960

Now I see what you are saying, I would have to say that yes, most of their information comes from the suppliers and that it isn't always accurate or honest. They are trying to sell naturally.

Nerine

yes some fish are out of their control. BUT...if people make a big enough stink things can be changed.

if employees can be persuaded too that helps. but sometimes if the employee's talk it doesn't get noticed but if the public talks it gets noticed!!!

Esp like the red hook silver dollars that are 50$ at petsmart and $20 on down everywhere else!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

charlie

Quote from: zippity on February 07, 2007, 11:08:32 AM

Now as for PetSmart, we gotta do something about that store. I figure if we all gang up on them, something may change. First off their prices are much more expensive on livestock and products. You got to wonder why hardly anyone from OVAS buys there. I only go there if I have absolutely no choice like last night and the staff was so appreciated of the info I gave on some fish. They hardly ever have any good sales on fish products, oh yea use your Pet Perks card and maybe I mean maybe you might get lucky, and then they do not recognize the OVAS card. Shame on them and then they wonder why we don't go there.

Zippity ,they might not recognize OVAS or have good sales, but they sure stand behind the products they sell without any hassle, just ask busdriver  ;).
Regards

beowulf

Quote from: charlie on February 07, 2007, 03:19:09 PM
Zippity ,they might not recognize OVAS or have good sales, but they sure stand behind the products they sell without any hassle, just ask busdriver  ;).
Regards

I think like any large retailer they do that because it is just easier.  In his case they also had no choice as there was a warranty.

charlie

Quote from: beowulf on February 07, 2007, 03:21:25 PM
I think like any large retailer they do that because it is just easier.  In his case they also had no choice as there was a warranty.
Agreed there was a warranty, but try showing up @ most retailers without a bill ( proof of purchase after a year & see if they honour the warranty, i myself showed up with a top fin filter & heater without a bill after 3 yrs + , the heater was replaced no questions asked & the impeller for the filter was replaced .  ;)
Regards

babblefish1960

That is true Charlie, Busdriver walked in with a broken 150, no bill, and walked out with a new $669 tank, and told that if it ever happens again, no limit, same deal, you can't argue with that, it is quite a friendly way to settle a transaction.

beowulf

Best I have ever seen is Costco.

aroc

one thing that really annoys me about lfs, which has really been an issue for a long time I find is when you do a special request order, usually nothing ever comes of it.. for example, putting in a request to see if the hagen warehouse has any old marina flourescent lights left or canopies, I don't think it takes over a month and a half to get that information and get back to me..I have always found that was a part of the customer experience lfs' all lacked in

groan

just to chime in late on teh orleans Super Pet...
I;ve been dealing with  the fish-girl there named Vivian. She has been great and very helpful.

I love that shop and they are kid friendly, at least they pretend to be so that's good enuf 4 me! (hehe)

was sad that they dont carry more tank lights or glass tank covers.

oh well. next time i go in i'll ask her to pop in here to 'represent'

mseguin

yeah vivian's the fish team leader at Orleans, and is very enthusiasticabout her job.