Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

RO Machine - does it remove sulpher?

Started by KLKelly, February 07, 2007, 08:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I will be trying to place an order for this RO machine today: .  I wish I could go with a higher end used one but this place takes credit cards  :-\  I'm buying it to remove sediment from my well water.

In the product information it states that extra purchase of the TDS Meters and PSI Monitor are critical.  This adds $70US which I don't see that I can afford right now.

Is this the case? Or something I can put off for a bit? 

Karrie

BigDaddy

Definately a TDS meter yes.  It is the only way to tell when it is time to change your membrane.

PSI can be useful for troubleshooting your setup, as RO typically perform best under certain PSI levels, but using lower or higher psi will just mean your membrane may wear out a little quicker

KLKelly

I finally reached a local company live this morning.  I've attempted a few times but answering the phones is not something they seem to do.  Its the aquasafe maximus.  I'll go with the TDS meter also then. Thanks!

A gentleman at Town &  Country water systems thinks my problem isn't with sediment but actually sulfer.  I mentioned the filter floss has a charcoal black colour to it in the filter attached to the cheap surface skimmer.  He said the sediment remover systems won't help.  A sulpher remover they sell is $1800.00  :(

I'm SOOO confused!  Would this RO system remove sulpher?  Will I be replacing membranes like there is no tomorrow...  Here's the info:
AQUA-SAFE
PURE WATER FOR $.01 PER GALLON!!!

MAXIMUS 100 GPD ("RO+DI") SYSTEM
COMPLETE MAXIMUS REVERSE OSMOSIS SYSTEM AS DESCRIBED BELOW:

This unit is a top of the line system for those who want really, really pure water at the lowest possible price. It is our HOME system with an additional purification of demineralization by ionization (DI). It is RO plus DI (demineralization by ionization) to make absolutely the highest quality water possible. This is the water used in manufacturing computer chips, circuit boards and for pharmaceuticals, and is virtually pure water.

Search the internet until your eyes hurt and you will not find a comparable system at any price!!!

Our membranes are "Made in the USA" and fully certified by NSF. They are TFC membranes made with material from Dow Chemical. 100 GPD membranes are good for 5 years +/-.

Our DI resins are "Made in the USA" and come from Purolite. This is the highest quality available. The 16 ounces of resin will last the average home 12 months...this equals about $.01 per gallon! The beads change color when depleted.

The pre-filters in our system are the highest possible capacity and quality. They will last a 5 or 6 gallon per day home 6 months.

The system comes almost totally assembled. The installation is not complicated and we are very good at our free tech support.

THE MAXIMUS SYSTEM INCLUDES:

(1) 100 GALLONS PER DAY RATED REVERSE OSMOSIS MEMBRANE.

(1) NEEDLE PIERCING VALVE FOR FEED WATER.

(1) SADDLE CLAMP FOR DISCHARGE WATER.

(1) WRENCH FOR CHANGING FILTERS.

(1) REFILLABLE HEAVY DUTY CLEAR CANISTER WITH 16 OUNCES OF COLOR CHANGING DI RESIN.

(1) NSF and Certified 4.4 Gallon Pressurized Tank.

(1) SET OF FOUR PRE AND POST RO FILTER..1 5M SEDIMENTARY, ONE GAC CARBON, 1 5M CARBON BLOCK AND 1 GAC FINAL FOR TASTE AND ODOR.

(1) AUTOMATIC SHUT OFF VALVE WITH QUICK CONNECTORS.

(1) STAINLESS STEEL CHECK VALVE.

(1) LONG REACH FAUCET.

Toss

Would you be able to tell us how much are they asking for it? Can customer see the product in person? Where is it located?

Thanks
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

KLKelly

The RO machine is from the company in BC so I won't be able to see it.  Here is a link where you can click on details: http://www.aquasafecanada.com/products.htm.  I'm looking at the one on the right - the maximus.  Its $125US delivered.  The TDS meter is $35US.  PSI Meter is $35US.  Its cheaper than buying on ebay because the shipping is included.  It didn't mention sulpher in the description I posted.  I'll send them an email and ask if they remove sulpher.  Should I ask something more specific?

I got a good idea from someone on the goldfish and aquarium board today.  If I hook back up my water softener and use softened well water in the ro unit that I would save money on replacing the membranes.  My GH is 10 and KH is 14 here.

I haven't had it hooked up because I messed with the dials and it doesn't have a book and the company went out of business.  The guy at Town&Country (Frank I believe) said to send him an email and he'll walk me through it.  I'm impressed with the customer service there.  Just wish I had $1800 to pop down on a sulpher remover ouch!  He also mentioned a lot of aquarium people call him because they sell potassium to clean aquariums.  I'm assuming this is a salt water thing.

I'm glad this site is here for help and advice!!!!!

babblefish1960

The potassium reverse osmosis water softeners are better on so many levels, I can't recall the name of the one I had, but I remember it was a few grand, but the point is, you aren't using sodium and as far as sulfur, it removed it completely, which sodium based ones do not, and I used this water freely with the cows and the fish and the shower.

It is not an easy decision to spend so much on something you can't see, but in the long run, your plumbing will thank you and so will your stomach. Good luck.

zapisto

Quote from: BigDaddy on February 07, 2007, 09:03:53 AM
Definately a TDS meter yes.  It is the only way to tell when it is time to change your membrane.

can i add something else if BD permit.
Take the inline TDS meter if you can.
i have 2 RO running at home and one of them is from aquasafe canada if i remember.

other things :
buy a box of replacin prefilter, more you replace this prefilter less you membrane get dammage.

KLKelly

I would so love a whole home system but ouch - can't afford that right now.

Once I find out whether the RO unit will resolve the sulpher sediment/particle issue I'll place the order for the unit, tdsmeter/psi monitor (deal if you get both its $40US for both) and a box of filters $60US.

I have a dumb question though.  If I have to change around 40 gallons in one change what would I need to do.  I assume it would take a while to filter 40 gallons.  Would I have to filter it into a big tub? (Which is fine).

Thanks guys.

Karrie

BigDaddy

Most people who have salt tanks will user a brand new rubbermaid trash bin...

manytanks

After reading that you were dealing with Town & Country with respect to your RO needs, I am compelled to share with you my experiences with Town & Country re your question about removing sulpher. Understand that I am limiting my comments to our specific experiences only, and strongly recommend that you draw your own conclusions on how best - or whether - to proceed.

I don't know for certain if an RO unit will remove sulphur, but I highly doubt it.

Background: We have sulphur in our well at about 8.5 ppm. Most companies that are seriously equipped to deal with this agree that above having only a tiny amount of sulphur on up to 9.0 ppm, the only approach that works is a chlorination system with 1 or 2 mixing tanks and separate aggregate and carbon filters. The aggregate filter removes the precipitate which results from adding the chlorine, and the carbon filter removes the residual chlorine. In the country you can backwash (clean out) the filters into your septic tank (highly NOT recommended, since it kills the septic bacteria); or backwash into the sump hole in the basement as long as you're far enough from your wellhead or water table.

More than 9.0 ppm of sulphur in your water and you generally can't remove it without moving up to a much more expensive ozone removal system.

We eventually went with a chlorination system supplied by Nelson EcoWater, and it works. Their service is also pretty good; no complaints. Cost us $5,500 for everything, installed, but it was either that or move. If you shop around you ~might~ get lucky enough to shave a few hundred off that price. Maybe.

The downside of sulphur is that it: (a) results in sulphur precipitate that starts to clog your water lines, especially the horizontal lines; and (b) it will corrode your copper pipes and eventually result in pinhole leaks spraying water somewhere inside your walls or floor. This is what happened to the nice folks next door to us, who have the same sulphur problem we do. I also missed the fun (but heard all about it!) when a plumber came to our place to check the 3/4" fittings on the pressure tank where the water line comes in from the well. The entire fitting crumbled in his hands, spraying water everywhere[/b].

Anyway, before biting the bullet for some real sulphur removal equipment that works, we originally went with Town & Country, buying a passive sulpher-removal machine with backwash capability (absolutely needed) for $1,200 installed.

The first service call was needed because it wasn't removing all the sulphur. Some adjustments were made.

The second service call was because they installed the wrong fitting and clamp and the backwash hose worked loose and sprayed 20 gallons of water all over the furnace room and drywall. They admitted they knew about this 'common problem' and blamed it on the manufacturer, but hadn't cared to install the correct connector when they installed the unit. Hello???

The third call was because it wasn't removing all the sulphur. They returned and installed an aerator in the line before the unit, a venturi device that mixes air into the water to assist in precipitation of the sulphur. There was no appreciable inprovement.

We still had a sulphur problem, and repeated calls to them after that resulted in very aggressive language from the owner (a woman at the time) and no further assistance from the company. A follow-up action on my part involving Tony Coté of the Ottawa Citizen Action Line resulted in a letter from their lawyer stating that the company had done nothing remiss, and threatened me with legal action if I persisted in trying to get satisfaction for our out-of-pocket $1,200. They maintained there was nothing wrong with their machine, that the problem must be ours (hello again???), and that they would not under any circumstances take back their equipment and refund our money. My wife remarked that the installer (the owner's husband) was quite chatty about their horses and the wonderful vacations they were able to take.

Grrrrrr.

This was all about 4 years ago. I gave up after that, but did meet several people in the year following who had 'enjoyed' similar telephone experiences - and assumed lack of satisfaction - with the same owner of Town & Country. At this point I do not know whether the business is still under the same ownership.

Your system needs will depend on how much sulphur is in your water, but I doubt an RO unit will do the trick. I strongly suggest you do more research and check with several companies in the area.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want to discuss sulphur well water further. Believe me, without our current system we could easily open a "West Carleton Natural Healing Springs Spa" here. <whew, and hold your nose>

KLKelly

I will do more research but honestly I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.  With little experience and not knowing what to listen to on the internet.  Thats why I'm glad I can post here.

Here is the response to my question to aquasafe - "I have more information.  I was looking into your maximus RO machine for sediment removal.  Turns out the particles in the aquarium might be sulphur.  Does the Maximus remove all the sulphur from the water?"

Their response - "The systems removes virtually everything producing pure, pure water.

(The HOME unit is a straight RO system and will remove 95+% of the impurities from the water. The AQUARIUM and the MAXIMUS units have DI filter added which will get 99.9999% of the impurities in the water. )
Best wishes,
Aqua Safe Systems"

I know its not a lot of money $200US for everything I would order but to buy it and have it not take out the sulpher particles would be a big hit for me.

What to do????

:-\

Karrie

KLKelly

About ten days ago my email to aqausafe was forwarded to their tech support department as the sales person wasn't sure of the answer.  I think I did too much research on the web and wasn't sure what was accurate....

Here was my email:
Ed - I'd love it if you could help.  I'm hearing so much information that I'd rather get it from the RO company itself.  Some people say it does remove sulphur, some says it doesn't.  Some say an RO machine will not touch sulpher and that I need a gassing tower and green sand filter.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the response I got:

Date: Feb 21, 2007 8:00 PM
Subject: Re: Turner: RO Systems
To: Karrie Turner <>

Silly people ....we make pure water...pure is pure

-------Original Message-------

Left me scratching my head. 

Karrie

babblefish1960

So much for technical support, maybe they aren't aware that hardpan traps sulphur in the groundwater, and it tastes awful.

I suspect he is saying indirectly that yes, it would remove the sulphur, it is a pity he didn't spell it out, as this could be misinterpreted without details. Silly blighter.

manytanks

I dunno. Your e-mail specifically asked whether the device would remove sulphur - and they specifically didn't answer your question. You might try again, but they seem to have avoided committing to a simple yes or no. So unless you really have a "surplus" $200 U.S. in your pocket...

Shrimpy

I just spoke with our water tech who installs our high end RO/DI units. These units that we sell start at $5-6000 Canadian and go up to $80K. He says the RO nor the DI cartridges will remove the sulpher by themselves, but the carbon cartridges installed before the unit will. Any customers of ours with sulpher problems have multiple carbon cartridges installed before the RO/DI units.

Hope that helps. :)

Shrimpy

If this unit is for you tanks I would personally go with the unit below instead. It comes with Dual Inline TDS Meters so you can monitor your RO membrane and DI membrane. :)

Go here... http://www.spectrapure.com/St_MaxCap-RO-DI.htm

KLKelly

Thanks guys - I really appreciate it.

In the meantime I've built a 40 gallon aeration system in the basement with a trickle tower to help aerate the water and precipitate some of the sulphur and iron out and filter the particles.  I'll be buying some potassium promagenate to help with this also.

I would love to have an RO system that I know will take care of the sulphur and iron.

Thanks again for the additional information!!!!!!

Karrie