Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

haplochromis ruby green

Started by hummer, February 08, 2007, 10:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummer

Hello, does any one have an extra ruby green female or know where i can purchase one in the ottawa area?  I puchased some from mgillie but my lone female died.  So i'm pretty sure that i have 3 males because they're all showing some type of colour.

darkdep

I know Quatro has some of these, but doubt he'll sell any :)

Quatro

Well we've negoiated a tade.  1 male for 1 female.  Now that I have to actually figure out which is male and which is female I find myself confused.  My dominant male is easy to spot, such nice colors.  The other 5 are all silver.  I thought I could tell by the egg spots but now they all seem to have them.  Any reason why a subdominant male wouldn't show colors or do you think I have 5 females??

Mike S

PS - now I have to open a store, I apparently already have an advertising employee.   ;D ;D JK Chris  ;D ;D

pegasus

Yes Mike, sub-non dominant males will often hide among the females and not show their colors. Lookk for elongated anal fins.

hummer

Quatro, are they completely all sliver not showing any colour becuase all my fish show some type of colour.  The third male was all sliver except for its rear fin which had some red.  So i thought there may be a chance it was female until yesterday when i turned the lights on.  It was all coloured up like it was the dominat male.

Quatro

One has a red tint on his face but all the others are just silver.

darkdep

LOL I've just decided that I'm very interested in Victorians, because they're less common and I feel good keeping them given the condition of the lake.

If either of you ever want to get rid of yours, I'll take em :)

hummer

mike you may have one male and the rest female because all my fish have always shown some type of colour.  Would you like my sub-dominate or the third-dominate? The third looks nicer but the 2nd is more of an aggressive eater and larger? 

Also chris i'd like to keep mine but if i get mine to breed, i'll definately sell some.

Quatro

hummer,  the third dominant soounds good to me.

darkdep,  good for you.  Victorians are worth it.  I still have my rock krib fry, should be large enough for the March meeting if you are still interested.  Currently have 8 ruby green fry that will be ready in 2 or 3 months.  And I found a source for Haplochromis Fine Bar Scrappers that I'm looking forward to getting.

Mike S

darkdep

Awesome!  Both of you, please give me first dibs on your fry as they get older. 

We're going a bit off topic here but oh well...

I have two other Vics coming on the Spencer order; Kenya Golds and Piebald Vics (scientific names escape me at the moment).  The Piebalds are very pretty.  We'll have to start a little Victorian club :)

babblefish1960

You could also start a Victorian Victorian tank and use cast iron frames without filters for your Victorian rift-lake cichlids. :)

SuperT

Quote from: babblefish1960 on February 09, 2007, 12:06:25 PM
You could also start a Victorian Victorian tank and use cast iron frames without filters for your Victorian rift-lake cichlids. :)

I just read that article in the latest issue of TFH.  An amazing article, but then again I was really impressed with this months whole issue.

Terry

pegasus

Quote from: DarkDep on February 09, 2007, 09:56:52 AM
LOL I've just decided that I'm very interested in Victorians, because they're less common and I feel good keeping them given the condition of the lake.
Then it may not be the fish for you, Chris

"Lake Victoria; note:  some suggest this species may be an aquarium produced strain."

darkdep

I haven't seen that article, but I AM going to have a couple of Victorian only tanks.

The Kenya Golds, for example, are actually extinct in the Lake (only existing in the wild in a satellite lake now).  I couldn't possibly teach my daughter about extinction and conservation any better than having such a fish in my tanks.

darkdep

Pegasus:  Hmm.  Time to read more.  Thanks for that :)

hummer

Hey Darkdep, do you know what the victorian Kenya golds look like?  Do you have a url for the profile?

Quatro

hummer,  Kenya Golds http://www.bigskycichlids.com/Hsp_kenya_gold.htm   I think they look too much like C44 or Rock Kribs

darkdep,  I was interested in the piebald vics when I saw the pics on http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1577 but didn't like the pics I found on other sites http://www.bigskycichlids.com/Pchromogynosx.htm

darkdep

Kenya Golds:  Some of the pics I've seen look a lot like C44's.  Some are similar but more single-colour; Spencer has some for about $3.75 each so I'll see what his look like.  As with so many Africans (and probably most fish in general), you can have exceptional specimens and poor specimens.  They're cheap enough that I'm willing to check em out.

As for the Piebalds, Spencer provided me with a pic.  I really like the mottled look, and Africans with Red in them I really like as well.  I'm hopeful they will look like this.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quatro

Awww, now I'm tempted too.   :)

SuperT

Quote from: DarkDep on February 09, 2007, 01:49:29 PM
I haven't seen that article, but I AM going to have a couple of Victorian only tanks.

The Kenya Golds, for example, are actually extinct in the Lake (only existing in the wild in a satellite lake now).  I couldn't possibly teach my daughter about extinction and conservation any better than having such a fish in my tanks.

I don't know how may people here get the TFH but I'll gladly pass on this issue to you when I'm done with it (been recycling them through the fish hobbyists I've encountered at work).  I have the odd magazine laying around so if anyone is looking for any issue in particular over the last year I may be able to help out.

Terry