Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Check out my new driftwood!

Started by RedFish, February 09, 2007, 09:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedFish

Just put my new driftwood in, after soaking it for a couple of weeks.   Bought it from OttawaDiscus.

I finally feel that it looks like a "real" aquarium, I love the look of natural tanks, with plants and driftwood.

Now I just need to learn how to take a better aquarium pic.

beowulf

Love it when I finally get my new 210g before the end of the year I am going to have to talk to him to get a couple of large piece for that tank.

Rudy00

very nice tank!  what size is it??

babblefish1960

You have a very interesting piece of driftwood there, and a mix of plants, have you names for them all?
Looks quite interesting, and I would agree, planted tanks look great when they're going good.

What sort of lighting do you have overhead?

RedFish

Thanks!

Rudy00  - it is a 29 gal

Babblefish - I have low light, a coralife 2x18watt with T-5s.
Java fern, plus Lace Java fern ("Windelev"), Hygro, Anubias (barteri - I think)  and Anacharis.

I split each clump into 2 or 3 and spread them around the tank.   They are all growing quite well, I had a nice layer of algae over all the ferns but my new little pleco (I adore him) cleaned it all up.

I am using Flourish complete once a week and I put root tabs into the substrate.

Gonna give it a few weeks and then add my last fish, I am thinking either 2 blue rams, or a couple more dwarf gouramis.

Laura

It's coming along great!  Lloyd does have nice wood - he was kind enough to show me some pieces after the last ovas meeting.

I was surprised when I read your list of plants, as it appears you have the java fern and anubias planted in the gravel as opposed to tied onto the wood.  I understand they generally do better growing on wood or rocks than buried in the substrate.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

RedFish

Quote from: Laura on February 09, 2007, 05:59:34 PM
I was surprised when I read your list of plants, as it appears you have the java fern and anubias planted in the gravel as opposed to tied onto the wood.  I understand they generally do better growing on wood or rocks than buried in the substrate.

I don't bury the roots/ rhizome in the substrate.    Just enough of the root into the substrate to anchor it, but the rhizome is above the substrate.    That works as well as tying them on wood or rocks.

kennyman

I think that features such as that beautiful chunk of wood are the kind of thing that define an aquarium as opposed to a fish tank. It looks excellent  :)

PaleoFishGirl

Looks gorgeous! What a spectacular centerpiece!

SuperT

Is it possible to have driftwood envy?

Terry