Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

options for people with older tanks

Started by aroc, February 09, 2007, 12:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aroc

so I am frantically trying to find a solution to my flourescent light situation I went as far as e-mailing hagen, since the tank and canopy were their product you would think they would have some reasonable solution to replacement parts, their suggestion was to use those peice of junk sliding glass lids (of which my canopy is actually quite fine, it's the light that melted) or to go lidless and use their new H5 or whatever thing that attaches to each side of the aquarium and hangs over the top.. I am sure that's fine for a planted tank, but I am not sure of it's usefulness in a african cichlid tank where there will be 3 cats in the house.  I am starting to wonder if my only solution is to buy a completely new tank

babblefish1960

Depending on the size of your tank, I am sure you could find a glass flip up lid that would work, and then resort to a simple strip light on top of that, same net effect really, as the older Hagen tanks had glass in the hood to protect the strip light anyway.

aroc

Yeah I guess that might be my only option.. I really didnt want to go that way as the glass lid look is terrible and we will have 3 cats.. I don't suspect those cheap lids can support the weight of a cat.. I know my cat won't go on there, but the 2 other ones have never been near a fish tank before and am not sure how they will react..wish there was another option

bitterman

Use a glass top and build a wooden canopy to cover/hide the light??

aroc

hmm, yeah that's actually not a bad idea.. I am working towards a carpentry cabinet makers certificate, that might not be a bad project at all, would need to paint the wood black to match my stand.. but yeah that could work, any ideas on what wood would work best in a aquarium setting as far as resisting the moisture?.. don't want to end up with a mould problem or rotting

bitterman

If you seal it right you can use most any wood. Plywood might be good also (marine grade is more water resistant if you want to go the route) White oak is used in boat building so it woudl be good also (Reb oak is not good turn balck when with water). Pine will even work if sealed with a  proper finish on all sides. Also the glass top will minimize water evaporation into the canopy and decrease moiture problems.

Bruce

aroc

Excellent, I think I would take the pine route as it's easier to work with and cheaper..definaetly look into that option

Quote from: bitterman on February 13, 2007, 09:31:56 AM
If you seal it right you can use most any wood. Plywood might be good also (marine grade is more water resistant if you want to go the route) White oak is used in boat building so it woudl be good also (Reb oak is not good turn balck when with water). Pine will even work if sealed with a  proper finish on all sides. Also the glass top will minimize water evaporation into the canopy and decrease moiture problems.

Bruce

PoisonJello

you can use whatever wood you want since your planing on painting it. you could even use mdf board if you want since the paint will be sealing it anyway (the inside you should paint white so the light will reflect better but i'm sure you know that already  ;))

as for the glass lid if you can't find the to fit, you can just buy the plastic parts at BA and have the glass cut at a glass shop (its is just as cheap and sometimes cheaper to get the glass cut and buy the parts) and when i say plastic parts they have all (the plastic for the back, the hinge or if you want the sliders probably have them also) i think the plastic is $2.50 a foot at least at BA in point claire it was

normc

I did that several years ago. I used pine finished the outside natural to match nearby shelve and the inside glossy white enamel. Never had any problems. :)