Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Discuss / Angelfish Question.

Started by speckledmind, February 09, 2007, 03:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speckledmind

Hi,

I was wondeing if there such a thing as a discuss species that stays relatively small ( max. 4 inch ) with nice bright coloration and paterns ?
Or,
An Angelfish as colorful as a Discus ?

I will tell you where I'm going with this.

I have done Angelfish in the past and loved them, there nice, but certainly not as colorful as the Discus, I keep looking at the Discus, but find that they get to big and lazy as adults for my taste, so, I figured I would ask.

I have pulled out a few picts from the web just for show, but don't limit your suggestion to these.

Cheers,
Denis

[attachment deleted by admin]

SuperT

I keep discus and I would have to say it does take them awhile to grow out (and trust me my wife definitely overfeeds these pets, all the while insisting they 'look' hungry.  I've had a long discussion with her about that and the bad blue/green algae (the tanks almost back to normal) but I digress).  I wouldn't say lazy I would prefer the term calm (when you are doing everything right, it's a joy to see them moving effortlessly and I would say this relaxes me as well).  They still play their games with one another (setting the chain of command) invading others territory.  The absolute best is the recognition all 11 move directly to the tank glass to watch us as we pass and I can guarantee they recognize the food containers.  As I'm writing this all of them are swimming nicely and the colors are simply breathtaking.  The biggest we have is probably between 6 -6 1/2 inches.

Since they come in a variety of colours it basically up to your taste.  We currently own (in these colours) white, orange, red, blue, yellow and a gold.  I always though a couple of white discus on a nice dark green planted tank would be something to behold.

Forget the Angels and join us on the dark side.

Terry

speckledmind

Quote from: SuperT on February 09, 2007, 04:03:09 PM
Forget the Angels and join us on the dark side.

Terry
Don't temps me Terry  ;)

I love the dark side  ;D

Can I ask a few more questions please.

- Can you give me an idea of there growth rate, something in the lines of, from a 3 inch juvenile to full adult size ?
- Is it posible to keep these in a tank set up without a RO unit, and using regular tap water ?

Cheers,
Denis

SuperT

We have a 'gold' that was in a local pet store for quiet some time before we decided to purchase.  When purchased about a 8 months ago was the size of a toonie (perhaps slightly larger).  Today looking at this fish I would estimate its about 3 - 3 1/2 inches across.  All the discus get regular/multiple feedings per day (2 maybe 3 times depending - more if my wife is around the tank).  I'm not trying to produce an 8" fish in record time (these guys can live up to 20 years - at least I've read they can (I'm sure other keepers can tell you the age of some of their discus and sizes)).  The oldest guy I have is about 3 and is slightly larger than 6" across (his mate is slightly smaller - same age).  I would estimate that they grew about 1 maybe 1 1/2 inches across in about a year.  I would also sincerely doubt that any of my younger fish will reach the massive size of 8" I would be happy if they were healthy and max out at 6-7 inches.

Now I guess its time to answer your question (i can ramble at times)

- Can you give me an idea of there growth rate, something in the lines of, from a 3 inch juvenile to full adult size ?

I think there are many variables here, depending on how you feed them, how much you feed them, what type of food you feed them, what type of tank you keep them in, water quality (just to name a few things)... so with that being said (and any discus keeper here - correct me if I'm wrong) and judging from my planted tank, feeding 2 times a day (approx), multitude of foods I doubt they reach full size of wild fish. From 3 to 6 inches perhaps 2 years (at least on my feeding schedule) maybe more.

Just a side note (I have seen fish that were really big and under a year).

- Is it possible to keep these in a tank set up without a RO unit, and using regular tap water ?

absolutely, regular tap water is what I'm using (the bonus here is the tap water settles to a Ph of about 6.4 - 6.6).  No extras, no fancy equipment, just regular water changes.  this may be a different story if you want to successfully breed these fish.

sorry to give you the long of it rather than the short.

Terry

dom

Hi Denis,

I keep Discus and I recently sold 4 "Dwarf" ones.  They were approx 3" not including tail.  It's easy to tell if a Discus has been stunted or if it's Dwarf by the size of the eyes.  If a small Discus that is a year old had small eyes it's a Dwarf and if it's stunted it will have large eyes. 

For a Discus to reach it's maximum growth you need to keep them in clean water with the minimum of Nitrate levels.  It does not have to be in RO water nor is it recommended to keep Discus in straight RO as they need the minerals for proper growth.  Treated tap water is perfectly fine and PH should be between 6.5 and 7.  Temperature is best between 84 and 86.  You need to feed excellent foods (homemade shrimp, spirulina and baby vitamins), blood worms, beefheart recipes, good quality pellets, mysis shrimp etc.  I feed my young discus 5 times a day.  The growth window for Discus is approx a year (not that they don't keep growing a bit after but it's when most of the growing occurs) and the first 6 months are the most crucial.

As for big and lazy well.  Don't expect major drama in the tank but mine are quite lively and often do little dances (mating dances or turf dances) and have "kissy" fights.  Discus who are boring and hang around in a back corner are not healthy.  Healthy and/or non-stressed discus swim up front and centre and watch you as much as you watch them ;) 

Best wishes.

Dom