Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

BA Frustrations

Started by Plum, February 11, 2007, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plum

Has anyone else ran into problems when dealing with either of the BA's?

I had my last straw today at the Kanata location. I live 20 minutes South of Casselman, and drove out there today as they had platties for $.67-very good deal. Once arriving there, and placing my order, I was informed there was a cap of 9 fish per customer. Ok, now I did want a large quantity of them bout 40, but no limit was ever described to me over the phone before I called, nor was such advertised on the tank.

I got snickering and non-service from the fish room manager, who obviously does not understand business, as if he did, he would not annoy a customer over a store mistake or does he understand the words- bait and switch-  as this is clearly a situation of such. As now when purchasing things for my 460 gallons, none of it will be from either location.

Don't get me wrong, want a cap, that's fine, but tell me before I drive 140 Kms to your store. Don't tell me sorry, we have new staff. I don't need the excuse. It is a constant frustration every time I walk into either of these stores, I will take my $ elsewhere. I am always happily greeted by Mike at Super Pet Merrivale every time I step in, and never have any problems.

Plum

Mettle

Yeah - I know that feeling. And I deal with it a lot and have dealt with it in the past, working in retail and all.

I find it hard to believe that the manager wasn't more accomidating. Or offering something else, possibly, to make up for the trip. I can see them not wanting to sell you all the platies they had there - or even a good chunk - but there was probably another offer they could have made you.

From the store's side of things... I can see this totally being the case. If you came in for forty 67cent platies they probably pegged you as one of the cheap, sale shopping customers. Not saying that's any reason to treat you worse than a customer willing to spend $500 on fish. And not saying you wouldn't either. But at the end of the day if they displease you by denying you 31 platies, but end up pleasing three or four more groups of people by having them in... well... cost-benefit analysis says... ya know?

Anyway. I'm not sure if I even made any points here. I'm tired and am just rambling a lot, haha.

kennyman

Today I had to laugh. There is one person in the fishroom trying to serve 6 customers at once and five people jammed in behind the cash talking crap. I just expect that kind of service from those stores now. Don't set your expectations too high with BA's  ::)

Heidi

I am sorry to hear you had a bad time of it at Big Al's. I like the Kanata location very much and spend much time there and have wonderful service every time I go. I am greeted by name and they always laugh and talk to my 2 boys who I usually have with me. I have known them to be honest and fair and as they know my tank set ups - they will tell me what is good or not and what's new or not.  While I know their prices can be expensive when compared to some other places - that is not the staff's fault, they are a business out to stay in business and to do that they must keep the prices as such that they can stay open. I know alot of their sale prices that are that good of a deal are of a limited quantity per customer (which is not always printed in the store fliers or advertising but that the store upholds so that everyone may reep in the benifits of this sale $) - did you ask them if there was a limit or state how many you wanted to buy which may have prompted  a reply stating that there was a limit of how many a customer could buy when you were on the phone? I also know that Sat is a busy day for them and maybe you caught some of the staff (some of who are new) on a bad day - which happens to us all. While that is not an excuse for bad behaviour or poor service, I just wanted to let you know that from my personal experience in this store - this does not usually happen.  If you have further issues I would suggest you speak with Andrew the store manager who I am sure would be happy to talk with you about the poor sevice you received. While that may not help you know if you didn't get the # of fish you wanted - it may help to reduce the anger you feel towards the store.
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

sniggir

okay well name a store in ottwaw that carries more product...you know I have had my problems to but realy SP as good as they are do not carry alot the product...or selection....petsmart...well they should't be aloud to deal in fish...not saying any are perfect.. but come on... maybe nxt time you might ask if they don't offer the info ...not to say that they that you should have to..but as you said you drove like 150km
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Mettle

Also. I guess if you're driving 150km you should inquire yourself. I doubt they knew you were driving that far. The average person who shops there probably isn't. 

PuddleDuck

Definitely frustrating, but anything that good of a price usually has either a cap or is sold out (I, surprised they weren't sold out). The grocery store puts limits on things, even if they aren't advertised with the cap.

This isnt to say youre frustration isnt valid though, I would be very annoyed had I driven that far.

I do have to ask though, with the money spent on gas, was it worth the drive to save the money? I imagine it would have come close to evening out to a regular priced bunch of platties.

BigDaddy

I know feeders are usually not that expensive... was it really that much better a bargain at 3 for $2?  I honestly have no idea how much feeders sell for.

murgus

Just to offer a good experience had at a BA - these are seldom heard.

I went to BA-Innes to get a pajama cardinal (SW - see my gallery) which they had on sale for 12.99.  Unfortunately it was a weekend sale and I arrived Monday.  The sale sign was still on the tank but when I got to the cash, I was charged full price (19.99 I think).  I remarked I was surprised as I thought they were on sale and the nice lady at the cash told me the sale ended yesterday.  I then replied, "that's too bad, I saw the sign and thought they were on sale".  I was fully prepared to pay the 20 bucks.  She called back to the fishroom, confirmed that the sign was up and gave me the sale price!  Great customer service and I will go back most definitely.

Thanks,
Andrew

Plum

Quote from: Mettle on February 11, 2007, 08:40:43 PM
Yeah - I know that feeling. And I deal with it a lot and have dealt with it in the past, working in retail and all.

I find it hard to believe that the manager wasn't more accomidating. Or offering something else, possibly, to make up for the trip. I can see them not wanting to sell you all the platies they had there - or even a good chunk - but there was probably another offer they could have made you.

From the store's side of things... I can see this totally being the case. If you came in for forty 67cent platies they probably pegged you as one of the cheap, sale shopping customers. Not saying that's any reason to treat you worse than a customer willing to spend $500 on fish. And not saying you wouldn't either. But at the end of the day if they displease you by denying you 31 platies, but end up pleasing three or four more groups of people by having them in... well... cost-benefit analysis says... ya know?

Anyway. I'm not sure if I even made any points here. I'm tired and am just rambling a lot, haha.

I ended up spending $167, and used my $25 since i had a 1000 points. I got an electric dempsey, and my 3 90's all come from their. I agree, cost benefit analysis was not top of mind. I mean, if you make a mistake, make it right. It is just plain stupidity.

The assistant manager did offer me 18, instead of 9, but I got stuck on principle. You are supposed to advertise a cap, or limit. That is the law of retail. Got the wrong price up. Give it to the customer. The assistant manager was excellent, as he has been the times i have been in there. Too bad I can't say the same for the Fish Room Manager. A bit of common, or not so common sense goes a long way.

Plum

Quote from: Mettle on February 11, 2007, 09:02:30 PM
Also. I guess if you're driving 150km you should inquire yourself. I doubt they knew you were driving that far. The average person who shops there probably isn't. 

Agreed. Buyer beware. But, I mean, aren't these guys in business to make money? There sale usually ends on Sundays. If you make your margin on the product, get it out the door. It just makes business sense. Higher product turn over, more profit.

speckledmind

I'm going to get killed on this one, but I'm an odd ball so here goes. lol

The Educational Part.
Flier specials such fish on sale are called " Lost Leaders ", there not meant for any one to load up on, because they are sold more often than anything at lost, they are offered to attract customers in the stores, in all hopes that " you " the customer will buy something else, so the store can recuperate there lost, in breaking even, or make a few bucks.
In store special are also used to attract people, but more often than other, reward the instore shoppers for being there at the right time, and some times move the merchandise.

Large store such as BA work on very low proffit margins, the competition is fierce, so they have to rely on volume to make proffits.

Reality check people.
You can't expect to have everything on sale all the time, only buy at heavily discounted prices in what ever quantities you want, or all the stores will go under.

I need to vent.
Stop bashing the stores for not offering you the deals you want, or not having good customer service, what do you expect, you don't want to pay, but you want everything for free.
You guys complain so much.
You have it so good in this area, and you don't know.
You need a wake up call Big Time.
This area has a very small town mentality, but even worst, a Government town mentality.

I shop the same store as you do, and always get pleasant service with a great smiles, if I don't like the price, or the store is to buzzy, I simply move on.

I'm an odd ball I know, so kill me, then throw me out on the side of the road for being frank about things.

If this does not get edited or deleted, post your replies, send your PM's, or complain to have me banned, but wake up folks.
I read this stuff more often than none, and it's a shame.
Sorry it had to fall on your thread Plum, but I think it was needed.

Keep this Forum an educational site, not a bashing site.

Cheers,
Denis

PS : And no, I don't work for any fish store.

PuddleDuck

Quote from: speckledmind on February 11, 2007, 10:20:04 PM

Stop bashing the stores for not offering you the deals you want, or not having good customer service, what do you expect, you don't want to pay, but you want everything for free.
This area has a very small town mentality, but even worst, a Government town mentality.

Youre right, we're bad people!  :'(
Thank you for showing us the way.

Plum

As for the feeders... I never feed them to my fish as they will stunt growth.

SP has platties on sale starting tomorrow, $1 a piece. @ $.67 i save $13.20 + tax. So it covered my gas, and I was able to enjoy the wide selection that they have, as yes, SP has limited selectoin as compared to SP.

Ya, it might only be $13.20 + tax. I just bought an elec. JD. I got one of their flowerhorns, love the thing.

It will suck, no doubt, as I do love the selection. But the service I get through Mike is 2nd to none when I deal with him and his staff. Turnover of staff does not seem to be as much there either.

It is not worth the stress of dealing with them. Try and order a rare fish, never get a call. I asked if they could look into getting a Rhom of the Serra family. I got a call a month later stating they had Pygocentrus Natteri... wow... that helped.

Plum

The Educational Part.
Flier specials such fish on sale are called " Lost Leaders ", there not meant for any one to load up on, because they are sold more often than anything at lost, they are offered to attract customers in the stores, in all hopes that " you " the customer will buy something else, so the store can recuperate there lost, in breaking even, or make a few bucks.
In store special are also used to attract people, but more often than other, reward the instore shoppers for being there at the right time, and some times move the merchandise.

Large store such as BA work on very low proffit margins, the competition is fierce, so they have to rely on volume to make proffits.

Reality check people.
You can't expect to have everything on sale all the time, only buy at heavily discounted prices in what ever quantities you want, or all the stores will go under.

I need to vent.

I shop the same store as you do, and always get pleasant service with a great smiles, if I don't like the price, or the store is to buzzy, I simply move on.

I'm an odd ball I know, so kill me, then throw me out on the side of the road for being frank about things.

If this does not get edited or deleted, post your replies, send your PM's, or complain to have me banned, but wake up folks.

Cheers,
Denis

"Stop bashing the stores for not offering you the deals you want"

No, not that I want. What they offered, advertised.

As for being in a tough business. Boo hoo. Hard to find staff. Too bad. Other places can do it, and I will go there. I have no sympathy for it.

You're right. Loss leader are great. I spent $167, I wonder what the average purchase is in there...... I will be above it.

Educatoinal site. Correct sir. Not only in educating about proper fish keeping, but the hobby as a whole and the stores where we shop at.

As for me not wanting to pay. That is obviously not an issue if you would have read te entire thread. I by no means have the most expensive set ups, but I am certainly above average, and try to get rare tropicals.

babblefish1960

The Educational Part.

Reality check people.

I need to vent.

Cheers,
Denis

It is an interesting post, and no the venting is not going to get you banned, particularly as you speak honestly about your own experience with good intentions.

I have to agree on some level that it is unfortunate that some folks feel the need and desire to bash local fish stores without taking their problems or issue to the actual store manager first.

It is understandably frustrating to drive 140 km to a store for $20 of fish only to be told you can only have $6, but they are a loss leader, and has been mentioned, I would assume that length of drive was for more than a mere handful of feeder fish.

Anyones personal experiences are exactly that, but I will remind everyone that local fish store bashing of a generic and broad sweeping nature is not condoned on this site.

mseguin

I don't mean this to attack you Plum, as I really have no idea of the proceedings, this is more meant as a general notice to anyone going into an LFS (or any retail for that matter).
It's all about how you approach the issue. Most retail workers don't like being bullied. If you try to assert your rights, challenge their knowledge, or question their authority, you're not going to get what you want in a lot of cases. If you approach them with respect, courtesy, and treat them as someone who can help you address the issue. I've had customers who have brought back fish when clearly its their fault, and they know it, and honoured store guarantee even when I didn't have to, because they approached it as what I could do for them, rather then what they're entitled to. On the other hand, if someone acts like because they've spent lots of money in the store or even are bigger than me they deserve for me to bend the rules for them, without sending any respect or courtesy my way. It's the biggest problem with retail in my opinion: the sense of entitlement. My favorite custoemrs aren't the ones necessarily who spend a lot of money. It's the ones who talk to me like a fellow hobbyist, heck, even as a fellow human being.
Anyway, not saying that's what happened. Just saying that in a lot of cases I see people gripe about customer service without realizing its a two-way street.

succinctfish

I'm sure you were frustrated Plum, but I also have to say I saw the thread title and sighed, here we go again.  Every few months someone starts a negative thread about a local fish store.  I feel sometimes we should just repost an old one to get it over with, and move on.  I've said this before in previous negative LFS threads--two main points, Firstly, don't bite the hand that feeds you. If you are an OVAS club member, those LFS's go the extra distance and offer discounts to us, despite hearing about all the negative postings about them.  Personally I am very fond of my 15% discount from Big Al's and Superpet, thanks to them for providing it.  If you're not an OVAS club member, please bear in mind that it's the members and the advertizers, who make this website financially possible.  Secondly, I know of wonderful folks at these stores with lots of knowledge who won't come online here because they don't want to be personally bashed for doing their job.  Let's think about where this thread is headed please, there have been some good constructive posts here, let's not head down the dark path of LFS bashing again.

Sue

I like to shop for bargins using flyer's that come out for grocery and drugstores.  I always watch for the lost leader sales, as they are the best bargins and often staples like milk, butter and meat. Its always pretty much a given that there will be a limit on the number per customer. I am fairly sure that the limit is not always posted in the flier, so IF its a law to post a limit its a rarely obeyed one.  I don't really get why the first poster would be surprised that 40 was over a limit.  

sniggir

funny that you mentioned that you were not able to get a rare fish in.... as I may have had to wait but have not had any problems... with getting andrew to order me in fish... and so far the WC fish that he has brought in have been realy nice... it has taken some time like a month but he called me when he placed the order and when he got the order in.... and what might I ask do you deal in if you are sayingg boo hoo, so if that is the general mentality we won't have LFS any more have fun then
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!