Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Critter Jungle has a super aquarium that is beautiful

Started by babblefish1960, February 16, 2007, 02:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babblefish1960

I have to admit the last time I was impressed by the sheer beauty of an aquarium was when I first saw some anodized aluminum framed tanks from Germany in the early seventies. They were gorgeous at the time. Actually, they still are.

Today however, I saw something that caught my eye as being both very new and beautifully executed. It is called a Hagen "Osaka" aquarium. I didn't have my camera with me, too bad. However, what is unique about this tank, is the vertical glass panels are in two pieces, not four. The back of the tank is simple beveled edged glass from one end to the other. The difference was the front piece of glass was joined at the back piece, and was radiused at the front corners and entirely one piece. There was no water in it, so I have no idea about the amount of distraction the radius would provide, but it sure was pretty. It was about 70 gallons and had the most unusual stand from a manufacturer. It looked like a piece of Japanese furniture with a tank on top. Very nice.

I feel that if this is the way in which aquariums may be evolving, then I am all for the future, it definitely fits the bill as something that you would be proud enough of to display in the living room.

sas

I've seen these tanks also at our local lfs! They are gorgeous, although I'm sure I didn't get the full aspect of them since it was still in the box. Haven't been back to see it set up yet, this was an 80 I think? Looked like a coffin :o. There are also corner models that look very nice. Actually thinking of going with this type of tank for discus ???. Although the prices are wild. I think I ran when they told me the cost :-[Still in the scheming,planning stages as to how to sneak one in the house.

garnpet

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

PaleoFishGirl

babblefish1960

I believe it was $750 on the label, but I didn't ascertain whether it was for the glass only, or if it included the t-5 light and stand.

But it was so pretty. Where did you see the ones you saw sas, I was informed these were the first examples in Ottawa.

beowulf

I might just have a little look this weekend.  The store sounds a lot like the store my friends own in Montreal.  Very knowledgable staff, high end foods, etc.

sas

Quote from: babblefish1960 on February 16, 2007, 09:51:32 AM
I believe it was $750 on the label, but I didn't ascertain whether it was for the glass only, or if it included the t-5 light and stand.

But it was so pretty. Where did you see the ones you saw sas, I was informed these were the first examples in Ottawa.
Babble this one is in Renfrew at an aquarium and hobby shop. Like I said earlier no idea on price? I ran since I knew I couldn't afford it :-[. This gives me an excuse to call him and see if it's set up and price 8). Do I need an excuse ???.

babblefish1960

I had to be next door for something anyway, so I went and looked again, and it is clearly $750 for the tank, very nicely appointed stand, and the 2 bulb t-5 fixture. It still looked nice today too.

Renfrew, sounds like a relative of the Adam's family. ;)

bitterman

Quote from: babblefish1960 on February 16, 2007, 02:04:14 PM
I had to be next door for something anyway, so I went and looked again, and it is clearly $750 for the tank, very nicely appointed stand, and the 2 bulb t-5 fixture. It still looked nice today too.

Renfrew, sounds like a relative of the Adam's family. ;)

When you ordering one? Picking it up?

babblefish1960

Well, "she who must be obeyed" came in with me and was not that moved by it. She also pointed out that she felt that (apparently) I have a plethora of fish tanks at the moment that bely the opportunity to put anything else anywhere else. Go figure, I always thought there would always be room for just one more tank. :)

bitterman

Quote from: babblefish1960 on February 16, 2007, 02:16:28 PM
Well, "she who must be obeyed" came in with me and was not that moved by it. She also pointed out that she felt that (apparently) I have a plethora of fish tanks at the moment that bely the opportunity to put anything else anywhere else. Go figure, I always thought there would always be room for just one more tank. :)

ROFL!!!!

Nerine

hahaha love it!
I'd love another tank...but I doubt it'd move my dh into saying yes!

I really like Critter Jungle, I've shopped there off and on since 97 but haven't been in awhile, good excuse to go!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

babblefish1960

Better scoot over there, they had three a week ago, now there is only one, it's a nice setup for sure. Definitely too civilized for some fishroom though, this is nice living room furniture with water.

charlie

Quote from: babblefish1960 on February 17, 2007, 03:29:25 AM
Better scoot over there, they had three a week ago, now there is only one, it's a nice setup for sure. Definitely too civilized for some fishroom though, this is nice living room furniture with water.
I saw this set up today, impressive indeed, very well suited for a reef set up. The only negative for me , is that it has no lid ( open tank concept ), so not suitable for jumpers .
Regards

PoisonJello

well i'm having a hard time picturing the tank you described, hope someone post a picture soon  :) but by what you have said its sounds a lot like the acrylic tanks..glass tank like that would be really nice

charlie

Quote from: PoisonJello on February 17, 2007, 07:24:33 PM
but by what you have said its sounds a lot like the acrylic tanks..glass tank like that would be really nice
It is glass

mseguin

The tanks should be available at SuperPet next week.

babblefish1960

That is so cool mseguin, how much will they sell for and do they come in other sizes as well? Are there also other stand styles?

mseguin

It comes in two sizes, prices will be 749.99 and 849.99, (77 gal and 90 gal).
There will be other styles of tanks being released, hopefully around April, one is a corner style other is bnowfront, both with built in Fluval filtration and T5 lighting.