Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New 90 Gallon

Started by missmandy, February 17, 2007, 06:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missmandy

Hi Everyone!!!
Well, I was going to turn my new 90 gallon into another saltwater tank, BUT my dad convinced me to go with fresh water! So Any one have any tips for setting it up?

darkphreak

A suggestion.... convince your dad to go back to SW.  ;D

speckledmind

Didn't you just sell a 90 Gal. tank ?

sniggir

I like AF cichlids... but I would say the same stick to SW....lol but I have both
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Nerine

salt water or africans
but salt water is the way to go!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Laura

I would go planted - that would be beautiful. 
Jetstream on this forum has a large planted tank that's just stunning.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

pegasus

Quote from: missmandy on February 17, 2007, 06:18:46 PM
.....Well, I was going to turn my new 90 gallon into another saltwater tank......
Your dad is probably right and since you have a SW tank already, I would go Africans just because you can set it up as you would for a SW without the live rocks, salt and the expensive lighting. The crush coral substrate and even the SW filtration system would be beneficial to Africans and make your tank easily convertable to SW if you later change your mind.

speckledmind

Why do like everyone else.
Go Brackish : )

There are some really nice colorful fish species in that group, and it's much easyer than salt.
Sooner or later, I will have a Brackish set up.

sniggir

yea I like that Idea... some nice puffers... some cool shrimp... that would be cool.... I wonder if the selenity is hi enought o use a skimmer
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

babblefish1960

Quote from: missmandy on February 17, 2007, 06:18:46 PM
Hi Everyone!!!
Well, I was going to turn my new 90 gallon into another saltwater tank, BUT my dad convinced me to go with fresh water! So Any one have any tips for setting it up?
There really are so many different ways to go with freshwater setups. Biotopes for example, can be incredibly diverse as much as the world is diverse. African rift lakes, west Africa, Asian streams, Central and South America with the Amazon Basin and River, acid pools, and Australasia with killies and budgerigars.

Never mind the birds, but even looking at different sorts of displays, there are rooted mires, sandy banks, planted tanks and rock forests and walls. Planted tanks alone cover so many different scopes as well.

With a 90 gallon tank, it is large enough to accommodate many varied arrangements, and most of the popular fish.

I imagine you really need to look at what it is that makes you say "wow" about an aquarium and what types of fish you would like to make kissy faces at every day. Some fish don't respond well to the latter. :)

Once you have chosen your favourite fish, find out what conditions it enjoys naturally and who it likes to hang around with and start there.

A bare tank is a lot like an empty canvas on an easel, it could become anything, it really depends upon what you're capable of painting and what you would like to look at. Have fun with it, a most exciting phase if there ever was one.