Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Goldies and......?

Started by pawznpuddles, February 17, 2007, 08:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawznpuddles

hey all,
i have a 20 gallon long tank with 2 small ryukins in it, can/would anyone suggest putting anything else in with them? no other goldies, i want them living in plenty of comfort, but i heard white clouds could live with them, and what about snails/plecos etc.

what do you all suggest?

beowulf

For lower temps you can get white clouds for sure.  I am no goldfish expert but many of them get big so careful not to overstock.

KLKelly

Unless you plan on getting a larger tank the Ryunkins need 10gallons/fish (minimum) - they grow really fast.  My fish are growing about 1/2-1"/month.  Fancy goldfish prefer warmer temps. I keep my tank at 75F.

There are great sites out there to learn about goldfish - kokos goldfish world and goldfish and aquarium board are good.

I wouldn't recommend additional fish.  I think the ryunkins are really pretty.

Karrie

Nerine

I agree with Karrie...I also do not recommend additional fish unless you get a bigger tank
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

pawznpuddles

thanks guys!

i specifically only put two in the tank knowing they'd get big, and their so pretty!

i didnt know about the warmer temp for them, so thanks muchlies KLkelly!

squeeker

There's not a whole lot that can live with goldfish.

Some people keep white clouds or rosy minnows with their goldfish, but the white clouds usually end up as lunch, and because rosy minnows are sold as feeder fish, they often bring along various diseases.

Weather loaches and hoplo catfish are good tankmates, but would require tanks larger than 20 gallons.

Bristlenose plecos make good tankmates, but other types of plecos do not.

Apple snails also make good tankmates, as long as you separate them from the goldfish at feeding time - the goldfish are too fast and the snails will starve to death otherwise.

Also remember that because goldfish require 10 gallons apiece, your tank is already fully stocked and you wouldn't have room for any additional fish unless you upgrade your tank anyway.

Hope that helps!

Laura

That's great you already took their size into consideration, so many people don't think ahead with goldfish.   

If I can add to what Squeeker said about the snails, she is right on the feeding as they like the same food, and goldies are faster than snails.  Applesnails can't be kept at coldwater temps. Some goldies pick at their antenae and bodies, while others are fine with them.  Mine picked on the snails and I had to take them out.  Snails also need 2.5 to 5 gallons per snail depending on the species, so don't overstock.

Weather loaches are coldwater and peaceful with lots of character.  Keep in mind that they like company and their adult size is around 10" so you'll need to allocate a bigger tank if you want to keep them. (I know I need to move up over the next couple of years)

I should note that Kokos recommends keeping hillstream loaches with goldies as they are both coldwater fish.  With all due respect for lots of great info at Kokos, this is just wrong.  They aren't compatible as the hillstreams need a really species-specific habitat with high levels of dissolved oxygen, fast current and very clean water.

Welcome to the board - it's nice to have another goldfish person around. 
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Crumpet

Quote from: Laura on February 17, 2007, 10:33:13 PM
Welcome to the board - it's nice to have another goldfish person around. 

hear hear!

I don't have much else to add to the great advice already given except, I hope you enjoy your new friends!  :)

I have ryukins right now in a slightly heated tank, just the pair, but their mouths are so huge, I wouldn't think to add anything small like the white clouds.  They're okay when the goldies are still young, but when they get bigger, as Squeeker mentioned, the minnows become a nice light snack.