Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

To extended abence food or not to extended absence food?

Started by hamstercaster, February 23, 2007, 11:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercaster

That is the question.  I'm leaving tonight and will be back on Sunday.  I bought some food blocks but have to say I don't trust them that much for some reason.  Like many of you now know from reading my many questions on this forum, I have Zebra Danios at the moment as I am cycling my tank.  I was planning on feeding them just before heading out tonight and then feed them on Sunday early pm when I'm back.  I think this would be the better choice than putting a food block in the tank.  What do you guys think?

PaleoFishGirl

Completely agreed - the food blocks are evil! They don't dissolve as they should, they can mess with your water quality, and who really knows what's in them, anyway?

Fish can go at least 2 weeks without being fed.  They will be fine over the weekend!

beowulf

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on February 23, 2007, 11:59:39 AM
Completely agreed - the food blocks are evil! They don't dissolve as they should, they can mess with your water quality, and who really knows what's in them, anyway?

Fish can go at least 2 weeks without being fed.  They will be fine over the weekend!

Totally agree, fish will find something to munch on in the tank.

hamstercaster

Great and once again, thank you so much for the quick answers and for being very patient with me as I have been a question mill in the past couple of days.. some would say weeks if they didn't see I only registered last week lol..

CuckooJay

Food blocks are rediculous in my opinion. The fact is that fish go through regular hunger strikes in the wild. A few days without food will to the tank good as far as clenliness is concerned. If you're going away for any longer, concider the new "gell" tablets offered by "tetra". Suposedly they don't break down in the same way. Or try an eheim food dispenser. I used one on my Malawi tank while I was away in Residence. I just topped it up when I was home for a visit and I never had a problem. In fact, it ran on the same batteries for over a year. Very reliable!

Nerine

I actually left my fish 2 weeks without food when I had to go to Cali...dh forgot to feed them (it's not usually his job!) but I have live plants in the tanks...nobody died and they were/are still healthy!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

PuddleDuck

I left everyone for a week over christmas- did a big feed and then a water change first and all was well.