Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

when to add another fish?

Started by jjorama, February 26, 2007, 09:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjorama

I have been told to wait a week between intro, however I have read to test the water first, to make sure the ammonia and nitrite are zero for a few days while nitrate are rising. I simply have three guppies who have been in my new tank ( 29g)for four days after one week of tank stabilization. I would like to add two dwarf gourami, is this too quick? Thanks

normc

Laura

Normc's right - do a test to see where you're at with the cycle, although I would guess it's likely too soon. 
You can always get a grungy sponge off another fish-keeper to seed your filter and speed things up.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

fishycanuck

Best to wait if you can. Please read the articles to the left about tank set up, general information and health. Many members are happy to part with a grotty old filter sponge to help seed a new tank.  If you give us an idea of what part of town you're in, you'll get offers. Your fish will be happier!

jjorama

I am in the east end, 5 min drive from Big Al's on Innes Rd. Would the sponge be placed in the aquarium? or in the filter?- a rookie question but I had to ask!

zima

You would place it in the filter, or rather replace the current one with the one coming from an older tank. This way you boost the healthy bacteria that is found in your filter media.

I can give you one if you want to drive (I'm next to Carleton U).

fishycanuck

If your filter is not compatible with the new (old) grungy one, you can put it near the filter output, so the water pours over the nice (old) sponge. Many of our members work at Big Al's on Innes, and I know we have members in Orleans.... I'm way out west.
Who volunteers some seed material?

jjorama

Nerine

I live a couple mins from big als too...I have some filter floss I could part with lol
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

jjorama

Thanks Nerine for the filter floss and help, countdown begins for O ammonia!  :D

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts