Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Look What I found In My Tank This Morning!

Started by busdriver, February 27, 2007, 11:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busdriver

Is there such a thing as an albino pleco?
Or do the change as they get older?
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

bitterman

Yes there are Albino BNs for sure. Some normal BN's will carry the albino Jean. What plecos do you have in your tank?

busdriver

I guess I have a female and male b/n plecos and a whole lot of little ones. :)

bitterman

Congratulations!!!! They are cute little ones. Bn's are the best and always in demand. Once they get a little over 2" you can sex them. The females don't have bristols, but he males shoudl start getting them about then. Bn's can have large batches. I know of about 20+ from my first batch but most ended up being fish food. No I never see any as they ended up as fish food before I see them (Mine were breeded about every 4-5 weeks).

The grow well is fed BBS and peas witht he skin removed, I also feed mine NLS and spirulina tablets.

Bruce

beowulf

Quote from: bitterman on February 28, 2007, 11:57:53 AM
Yes there are Albino BNs for sure. Some normal BN's will carry the albino Jean. What plecos do you have in your tank?

You have BN plecos that where jeans?  :P :D

busdriver

Do baby plecos like swimming upstream?
I have a hob filter and I opened the top and saw a baby placo sitting on top of the media, it got there by swimming up the water flowing into the tank., Neat! :o

busdriver

It's happened again, my 75 gal. is being overrun with baby b/n plecos.
I still don't know how many I have from the first batch and now there is a second batch.
I just wish they would grow a little faster, so I could move them out.
I was going to say something about my 2 adult b/n plecos, but this is a family site.

Yiiiippppeeeee :D :D :D

bitterman

Congradulation Terry!

If you feed them freshly hatched BBS (You might even be able to use decasilated non hatching eggs for less problems), crushed pealed peas, spiruline tablets, and NLS H20 stable wafers they should grow pretty fast for you.

Bruce

Adam

Plecos eat BBS?  I had no idea.  When do they become vegetarians?

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

bitterman

Quote from: Adam on March 19, 2007, 02:20:59 PM
Plecos eat BBS?  I had no idea.  When do they become vegetarians?

Adam

Yeah Loyed told me about feed that to get faster growth. I tried it and mine loved them!!! I always ensure the primary food source was veggie and the BBS were just to boost growth. Fry need more portien then adults, for better groth. My bn's eat NLS and they seam to love it!! I was also feed the fry NLS grow.

Bruce

busdriver

Quote from: bitterman on March 19, 2007, 01:54:38 PM
Congradulation Terry!

If you feed them freshly hatched BBS (You might even be able to use decasilated non hatching eggs for less problems), crushed pealed peas, spiruline tablets, and NLS H20 stable wafers they should grow pretty fast for you.

Bruce
Where do I find freshly hatched BBS, will frozen not do?

bitterman

Quote from: busdriver on March 20, 2007, 10:16:58 AM
Where do I find freshly hatched BBS, will frozen not do?

I guess they will, but I used ones I hatched myself. Decaselated BS eggs would problem work the best are they have more food value to them and no hatching is required.

For example these... less mess then frozen also.
http://www.aquariumshop.ca/product_info.php?cPath=25_32&products_id=53&osCsid=80a96258493faa4a704379587ec4d71e

Bruce

busdriver

Thanks Bruce, for all your help, it's much appreciated.

Terry

busdriver

busdriver

Quote from: fishycanuck on February 27, 2007, 07:50:14 PM
Who says you have to part with them?
Fishy, I counted the ones I could see and there are at least thirty, at this rate, I will have to move them somewhere. :D

busdriver

I thought I asked this question before, but now I can't find the answers. :-\

How often do I feed the little plecos and fry?
I'm feeding them frozen BBS. :-\

bitterman

Quote from: busdriver on March 21, 2007, 01:39:07 PM
How often should I be feeding the BBS?

I feed a small amount daily and also did the peas and spirulina tablets also so they could eat all day long and grow fast.

NLS h20 stable wafers might also be a good option.

Bruce

babblefish1960

You know busboy, what fishydear was saying was right on the mark, you have 30 baby BN plecos, that is not much of a bio load, and I'm not so sure I would move them, they have a lot of space in your tanks, heck, what about the 150, they would love that tank to bits, and they don't bother discus either.

So keep them, they don't bite, and they are so darn cute.

busdriver

Quote from: babblefish1960 on March 23, 2007, 01:04:40 PM
You know busboy, what fishydear was saying was right on the mark, you have 30 baby BN plecos, that is not much of a bio load, and I'm not so sure I would move them, they have a lot of space in your tanks, heck, what about the 150, they would love that tank to bits, and they don't bother discus either.

So keep them, they don't bite, and they are so darn cute.
Yes, but wouldn't the discus enjoy a little snack once in a while? ;)

babblefish1960

Quote from: busdriver on March 23, 2007, 12:58:46 PM
I thought I asked this question before, but now I can't find the answers. :-\

How often do I feed the little plecos and fry?
I'm feeding them frozen BBS. :-\

Look in this thread here, you will find all your answers bussy!