Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Looking for free rocks

Started by LowKey, February 28, 2007, 09:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowKey

Well, after viewing the prices lfs want for decorative rocks I have decided to go the rock picking route. 

Two problems
- Snow
- I'm not sure which rock are safe to use

Can someone direct me to an area in Ottawa were one might find an abundance of safe decorative rocks? 

I'm looking to cover the back of my 90gal.

Nerine

get an ice pick?

HAHAHA

I'm trying to get my dh to take me to thunderbay and get some amethyst...any precious stone is ok :D and there are some back posts around here on safe rocks...do a search and they will come up.
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

kennyman

Most rock in our area is limestone laid down when it was at the bottom of the Champlain sea. It is great for African cichlid tanks as it buffers PH. There is some great granite on the shield area to the SW like Lanark-Sharbot Lake area. I am not sure how collecting is in on the north side of the river. I never go there.

Nerine

there are actually a lot of really nice rocks in easy driving distance. I found some red slate up somewhere on an excursion to the cottage (no idea where it was because we wandered about looking for rock!) towards/past Renfrew area.
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Shrimpy

Take a drive out to Hwy.15 and Hwy. 7 in Carleton Place. They upgraded highway 15 and there are limestone slabs out the ying yang here. People are still grabbing large pieces to use as decorative patio stones. You would only need 2 or 3 large pieces. Just smash them with a sledge or back of an axe and you'd have more than enough for a 90g. :) Or you could pick through the rubble for small pieces and fill a couple of pails.  ::)

PoisonJello

as for your ? about safe rocks really they are all safe, yes some raise ph or buffer the ph but as long as you boil for 30 minutes or wash and bake the stones for about 40 minutes in the oven they are safe to use, just make sure there are no cemicals use on the rocks

here in Cornwall there is lots of nice rocks at Walmart...not in walmart around the side of walmart, they put them along the side of the building to stop people from walking in the mud...I guess your not suppost to take the rocks but i won't tell if you don't  ;D

gmann

The auction will have rocks available and they should go for much cheaper than LFS. happy bidding :D.

kennyman

Quote from: gmann on February 28, 2007, 07:00:11 PM
The auction will have rocks available and they should go for much cheaper than LFS. happy bidding :D.

Thats good to hear. I know I have some slate and some river rock on my wish list  :)