Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Small Fish Stocking options?

Started by Zoe, March 03, 2007, 02:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe

I have an 8 gal tank full of cherry shrimp... are there any fish I could keep with them? I'm not too concerned if the fish eat some of the shrimp, but for most fish, I'd worry that they'd SO many fish, they'd be obese. So I guess I'm looking for something small enough that it won't be able to eat even the smallest shrimpies... or something largely herbivorous.

Any iders? :p

babblefish1960

An 8 gallon tank isn't very big at all, there is another thing you need to consider, the ph and hardness of the water. Most small fish that I am thinking of have very different needs from your shrimp.

I did think of the galaxy raspbora, very tiny mouth, and the poecillocharax weitzmanni (pH 6.0), however, they are acid fish, and the shrimp are not.

That really wasn't much help, sorry, good luck.

succinctfish

If you don't care if the fish eat the baby shrimp, then how about Pseudomugil furcatus?  They are small beautiful and personable little fish.  If you are trying to expand your shrimp population, I wouldn't recommend them, but if you're happy with your numbers they will enjoy eating the tiny shrimp.  They are very sensitive to water conditions, but in the right environment they are very active.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Furcatus.htm

Zoe

Wow Succinct those are very unique little guys.  Do you know of a petstore in Ottawa that carries them?

succinctfish

I know Matt had them at SP Kanata quite a while ago, don't know if he still has some.

gonna_b_no_1

how about some guppies?

Mine are in with cherry shrimp and they get along fine :)

beowulf

Quote from: gonna_b_no_1 on March 03, 2007, 05:13:48 AM
how about some guppies?

Mine are in with cherry shrimp and they get along fine :)
Problem I think with them might end up being who breeds faster the guppies or the shrimp!!!  Of course unless you went all male.

I like that little fish succinct suggested, real interesting.

Jesse

At Superpet Barrhaven we have about 20 forktails left, but I havent a clue what the price is.

gonzobluefuzz

Quote from: Zoe on March 03, 2007, 02:52:56 AM
Wow Succinct those are very unique little guys.  Do you know of a petstore in Ottawa that carries them?
I've seen them @ SP Merivale....but that was a while ago (like pre snow on the ground), I don't get out to the LFSs much HTH

g

mseguin

I don't have furcatas right now, have gertrudae and threadfins

Laura

I know that petshrimp.net recommends shrimp-only tanks and there are threads discussing galaxy rasboras eating young shrimp.

I keep some brig snails with my shrimp that prefer neutral to alkaline water to add some variety.  Also, recoginzing that petshrimp.net folks are probably right, I still keep norman's  lampeye killies (sm species) with my cherries.

Although I haven't noticed any predation, it doesn't mean it's not happening to some degree.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Zoe

Well Laura as I mentioned I don't mind if the fish eat some / most of the young shrimp, I just don't want them to gorge themselves to death or anything like that.